Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman’s Mock-up Samples and Ect…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dawg Man
    Participant

I’ve been tracking down and collecting orchestral samples for a year now, buying and trading sounds (modeling as much as I can of my library after Elfman’s and other composers’ collections). At the moment I almost have 120 GB worth on an external drive. One of my recent purchases was this massive choir library. I thought you’d be interested in it. MP3 examples are online. It’s the most realistic I’ve ever heard. Check it out…

http://www.spectrasonics.net/libraries/symphonyvoices.php

It’s been used by several film composers, including Hanz Zimmer in Hannibal. Most importantly though, it’s used by Elfman and here’s what he has to say about it: “The Boys Choir is amazing. We used them in Good Will Hunting. Very Impressive.”

Just thought you’d be interested, incase some of you don’t know where to find realistic choir sounds.

Knight
    Participant

That is actually a fairly old lib. There is alot of new stuff that is incredible (EWQL just released a choir lib that sounds great, and you can give them lyrics to sing), but it’s a bit more costly. One thing to keep in mind, you can try to match Elfman’s recording sound, but trying to build a sample set like is would be impossible. Most composers on that level have thier own custom sample libs (hey, I would too if I could afford it) and Elfman has so much custom percussion it’s not even funny. In any case, have fun collecting :D .

Knight (I want to trade studios with James Newton Howard)

Dawg Man
    Participant

Man, James Newton Howard is so far the best orchestral mock-up artist I’ve ever seen. He records custom samples with the orchestras that he writes scores for and, additionally, has pioneered the sample/keyboard industry since the beginning. There’s an article from KeyBoard magazine up at James-Newton-Howard.com where he explains some of what he does (how to manipulate samples to match real performance styles). It’s very helpful to those of us who are into this stuff.

Also, his studio blows my mind too.

By the way, you were right about the choir library. I spoke too soon. I just checked SoundsOnline.com…
    http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-165

chocothrax
    Participant

Howard is ok but hes no match for other sample users. None of the big Hollywood composers seem to be so great at using samples. Symphony of Voices is ancient and isnt it only available in Akai format? East West just released a choir library which will sing whatever you type into it but it needs a whole computer to itself just to run and it isn’t all that impressive. The boys choir in Symphony of Voices is really nice and I believe when Danny had recorded the boys choir for Good Will Hunting he actually used Symphony of Voices instead of the real choir because it sounded better. I know Danny owns EWQLSO orchestra samples but I don’t know if he uses it at all or with other libraries. Oh and if youve been trading any samples thats illegal. :D

Dawg Man
    Participant

It really depends on the stuff you trade. I’ve started recording my own samples lately. Also, James Newton Howard and Hanz Zimmer trade samples with eachother all the time and have admitted to it freely in interviews.

Although, stuff like this “is” sticky when you get right down to it, I suppose.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.