Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman’s Return to Boingo last night !!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    boingomusic
    Participant

I don’t know if any of you have seen this… It’s all over Facebook and the internet!!!
    At the end of the last encore, at the Hollywood Bowl, in Los Angeles, on Halloween night, Danny Elfman came back on stage with a black t-shirt and a red guitar. At this moment, everybody knew something big was going to happen…

And it did happen… : “Ladies and Gentlemen, I’m going to do something I said I would never do…”
    Danny, for the 1st time in 20 years, started singing Dead Man’s Party, with Steve Bartek on guitar, a great percussion band, and the whole orchestra!!!!
    20 years to the day after Boingo’s Farewell, and 30 years after the release of the song…

As Johnny Vatos (Oingo Boingo drummer) explained it, this was closer to the version Danny had in mind when he wrote the song in 1985.

Enjoy… And let’s hope he’ll want to sing some more Boingo songs, or even write new ones!!!

Lambegue
    Participant

That was unexpected ! And really great, even if it is hard to find it in good sound quality (the link you posted is dead)

boingomusic
    Participant

Yes, so unexpected!!! I was hoping this would happen at some point, after I realized how much fun he was having performing live again… But after 2 Elfman/Burton halloween shows, and no Boingo song, I had lost hope….!

I hope there will be some other performances with better sound.

I corrected the link, and here’s a better image quality :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Beye-RpqQE

And this is the performance he did the second night (november 1st) which is, in my opinion, way better :

I still can’t believe this surprise performance, after 20 years without Boingo, and 30 years after Dead Man’s Party’s release in 1985… Unbelievable!!!

Thor
    Participant

Yeah, I saw that video when it went viral a couple of days. Must have been a tremendous treats for the fans who were there. I’m totally envious!

Probably just a one-off, but I wouldn’t mind another Boingo concert (with reduced volume, if necessary, due to Elfman’s hearing condition).

DannyBiker
    Participant

How about remastering the albums ?

Lambegue
    Participant

It could be a good idea. A lot of unreleased stuff from them, also, from what I know. And I think at least part of it exists in good enough audio quality to be proposed as a bonus on a possible re-release.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yes, I’ve got quite a few bootleg tracks from their Mystic Knights/early-Oingo Boingo era that were circulating on P2P networks back in the early 2000. I really don’t think it’s easy to find them any more. Proper releases of their work is long over due.

OCLin
    Participant

I made it a point to be at the Hollywood (Halloween) Bowl both nights. The first night, so unexpected! It was absolute pandemonium! The second night, things went much more smoothly, and Danny and Steve were both much more relaxed. I asked Steve if Danny was as jazzed about doing DMP as he looked, and he said they both were! Aww…it was SO much fun, both nights. John Mauceri said on Twitter that the Bowl is on this year’s agenda again. Cannot WAIT.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.