Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman/Van Sant weepy dounuts and ‘Milk’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lucius
    Participant

So, I thought Danny and Gus parted ways respectfully, but I just saw this article at Filmscoremonthly.com on the Top 40 composers of 2007. Yes, Danny was #2 again.

2. DANNY ELFMAN

2007 RANKING: 2
    BIRTHPLACE: Amarillo, Texas
    REP: Kraft-Engel
    3 OSCAR NOMINATIONS
    1 EMMY, 2 NOMINATIONS
    8 GRAMMY NOMINATIONS
    BEST PICTURE NOMINEES: Good Will Hunting, Chicago
    RELATIONSHIPS: Tim Burton, Gus Van Sant
    BACKGROUND: Rock singer-songwriter (Oingo Boingo)
    FAN FAVORITES: Batman, Edward Scissorhands
    TYPECAST IN: Comic book movies, Oscar bait
    TOP GROSSING FILMS:
    1. Spider-Man–403
    2. Spider-Man 2–373
    3. Batman–251
    4. Men in Black–250
    5. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory–206
    6. Men in Black II–190
    7. Mission: Impossible–180
    8. Planet of the Apes–179
    9. Chicago–170
    10. Batman Returns–162

Elfman hasn’t had a genuine blockbuster since 2005’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but he remains one of the most popular composers in Hollywood, unusually choosy about his projects and particularly about his director collaborators. Last year’s Meet the Robinsons did good business despite its troubled production history, while the war-on-terror thriller The Kingdom was a boxoffice disappointment but gave Elfman the chance to work with a more stark, less orchestral sound. His emphasis on interesting directors dominates his 2008 output, as he scores a new Errol Morris documentary, Guillermo del Toro’s sequel to Hellboy, Gus Van Sant’s long-awaited Harvey Milk biopic, and the action thriller Wanted, from the director of the Russian Night and Day Watch.

WHAT’S NEXT: Standard Operating Procedure, Wanted, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Milk

Good to see there boy back together again.

Lucius

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

HA, you know I was listening to Elfman on shuffle the other day and PSYCHO came on and I wondered about what ever happened to him and Van Sant!

DannyBiker
    Participant

I was waiting for an Elfman/Van Sant reunion since a long time now; well 10 years actually ! :)
    With Burton and Raimi, Van Sant is one of those directors who know how to use Elfman’s music. After two years of few minor scores, 2008 could be a big Elfman year…

Never was a big fan of the Elfman-Van Sant collaboration. To Die For was decent, Good Will Hunting was a bit boring, and Psycho was point-less. But…I’ll give this a chance.

Monsterhead
    Participant

That’s great news. And wasn’t Elfman doing A LIFE BEYOND HER EYES? The latest from HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG director? I see that he stuck with predictable old Horner once again…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.