Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Family Dog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

For your viewing and hearing pleasures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Mtcqz4eHI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GFz7zIpr9A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q9jkoLm-KU

Danny recycles some of his Pee-Wee and Back to School music, but thats okay cause it works really well here.

EDIT:

If you are having trouble just highlight the link, copy, and paste on your search engine.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Hmmm…Sounds like John Williams to me. Oh wait!

John Williams did the opening credits. The music on the actual episode belongs to Elfman. The episode was written and directed by Brad Bird with artwork by Tim Burton and produced by Steven Spielberg. I can’t remember the year but it was sometime in the late `80s.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

…with artwork by Tim Burton and produced by Steven Spielberg.

Tim Burton produced artwork for Family Dog?

I can’t remember the year but it was sometime in the late `80s.

’92, actually.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Tim Burton was an animator on the “Family Dog” segment of “Amazing Stories” which aired in 1987. Lord, we REALLY need an anthology show of such caliber on TV today, with A-list talent involved just as “Amazing Stories” did. They had people like Spielberg, Scorsese, and Zemeckis directing these things! Ahhh, if only.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Tim Burton was an animator on the “Family Dog” segment…

Really? Is he credited as such? I thought Burton stopped animating when he became a director.

(Oops, ’87 was indeed the correct year, sorry.)

kjas
    Participant

I was somehow able to see the first episode of Family Dog on film. Amazing Stories was not attached to it what so ever, so it had it’s own simple end credits with an Elfman Family Dog track I believe I haven’t heard before. The sound mix of the cartoon almost sounded rough too. Pretty cool to see.

`92, I believe, was the year the Family Dog TV show premiered. Family Dog, the Amazing Stories episode, aired sometime between Pee-Wee and Beetlejuice. Burton did some tv work in-between those two movies including directing an episode of Amazing Stories. He directed the episode titled The Jar.

Lucius
    Participant

‘The Jar’ was an episode on “Alfred Hitchcock Presents” a remake of the original show. It also was on TV in the 80’s around the same time Amazing Stories was on. Just to clarify.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Errrr…ughhhhh. Yeah, I know that. Just being a wise ass. I remember watching the episode when it first aired. I loved it and still do. And BTW, Burton was not actually an animator on The Family Dog episode…

From Burton On Burton:

“The next year, Burton was called in by Brad Bird, who he had worked with on THE FOX AND THE HOUND at Disney, to contribue a number of designs to Family Dog, an animated episode of Steven Spielberg’s television series AMAZING STORIES which Bird was directing…

Burton’s quote:

“My involvment was pretty much from a design point of view; I did storyboards and designed some more charecters because I love the idea of trying to do something from a dog’s point of view. I don’t know why, but I always relate to dogs. Edward Scissorhands is like a dog to me.”

He did storyboards and character designs. Sounds like an animator to me.

Monsterhead
    Participant

He was not actually in there, creating a series of images that when played sequentially, create the illusion of movement. I’d say he was more of an animation designer on this one. Much like his credit on the episode says…

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Precisely.

An animator is one who animates.

Yes, because storyboards aren’t what animators use for direction. Sorry for the sarcasm. He designed the characters and got credits for, but he also did storyboards. Doing a storyboard for a cartoon is basically an animator. Burton may not have animated the final product, but the people who did used his storyboards as a guide. They didn’t just sit down with a script and draw whatever they wanted. They had the storyboards that were telling them what to do.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Doing storyboards does not necessitate drawing thousands of animations for a cartoon.

If that were so, I could add “animator” to my business card. :)

kjas
    Participant

in this debate’s case, the definition of an animator could be subjective in individual terms. Its like, for instance, people who aren’t involved in a particular medium will use one word to describe the lot, and then there are the people who do know all the tiny little roles and will abide by such definition. even then, coming from indie film, that can change per role per production as well.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Jesus Christ. Talk about tit for tat. When will there be a new Elfman score to talk about?

Well…Elfman composed Hellboy 2 which comes out in July. So…that answers your questions. :)

Monsterhead
    Participant

No info on S.O.P?

RCox
    Participant

A guy who does storyboards is called a storyboard artist.

but he’s still part of the animation department.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Again, an animator is an artist who animates, i.e., the appearance of movement using animation.

Story boarding is NOT the same as animating a character. Characters in storyboards to not move when you flip them.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.