Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Favorite moments left off the albums…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant

‘New Powers’ from Spider-Man and ‘Better Times’ from Dolores Claiborne immediately come to mind…

DannyBiker
    Participant

Pretty much every track involving the circus theme from Big Fish.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Does the trailer from DICK TRACY count?

ddddeeee
    Participant

Dick Tracy and Darkman seem like they should have gotten expansions like five years ago, they’re the sorta movies those labels go nuts over.

rkeaveney Wrote:

> Does the trailer from DICK TRACY count?
    >
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4rzqSsqaqA

That’s probably Shirley Walker. Danny barely finished Dick Tracy due to his crazy schedule. I don’t think he would have written music for a trailer. Unless that’s alternate takes they used.

lonzoe
    Participant

Well Elfman found time to write music for one of the “Edward Scissorhands” trailers, which was included on the Intrada expanded reissue album.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I’d like to own more of the ‘slasher’ material from Nightbreed, especially for the opening murders.

lonzoe Wrote:

> Well Elfman found time to write music for one of
    > the “Edward Scissorhands” trailers, which was
    > included on the Intrada expanded reissue album.

Edward Scissorhands was released in December. Dick Tracy and Darkman, which both required additional composers, were released in the summer while Danny Elfman was on tour with Oingo Boingo. There’s an interview, probably on this site, where Danny says he was in a hotel room listening on the phone to Shirley Walker re-record the opening scene of Dick Tracy.

lonzoe
    Participant

Clive Barker’s Nightbreed came out in February of that same year. And Walker wrote a cue for that film. Elfman was touring then too? And that’s the first I’ve heard about Dick Tracy having additional music. You have any proof the music from that trailer above was written by Walker instead of Elfman?.

lonzoe Wrote:

> Clive Barker’s Nightbreed came out in February of
    > that same year. And Walker wrote a cue for that
    > film. Elfman was touring then too?

I don’t know for sure, but his Oingo Boingo album, Dark at the End of the Tunnel, was also released in February of 1990. It’s possible there was a scheduling conflict with both projects.

> And that’s the
    > first I’ve heard about Dick Tracy having
    > additional music. You have any proof the music
    > from that trailer above was written by Walker
    > instead of Elfman?.

I don’t have evidence. It was just a guess. As for Walker’s re-writing, you can hear Elfman’s version of the opening in his Darkened Theater album. Walker’s contribution is very small, but it does appear in the actual score album:

https://youtu.be/enMx6RdxUwo?t=52s

edit: 0:53 to 1:25 is Shirley Walker

Thor
    Participant

As some of you might know, I don’t like expanded releases, and am mostly blissfully unaware of any music left off albums. All that matters is the album I hold in my hands, and how that program holds up as a listening experience. The film — and music within — is never a frame of reference for my soundtrack listening. That being said, there are obviously moments now and then when a piece of unreleased music wouldn’t hurt the overall listening experience. Someone mentioned the circus music from BIG FISH — it was good music, and I can see it fitting into the album at some point, as a mood-breaker. But that album works brilliantly the way it is. One of my favourite Elfman scores since 2000.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.