Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Film Music Publications

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

This doesn’t exactly pertain to Elfman, but I was thinking of subscribing to a film music publication or two. I know of a few: Film Score Monthly, Film Music Magazine, Music from the Movies, and probably more.

I guess my question is: are any of you people here subscribers? And, are the publications good? Which ones are the best? etc…

Thanks, in advance…

NP: Spiderman! “Weee!”

Anonymous

Juju –

Yes, I subscribe to FSM. I really enjoy it…it’s got a lot of text and is pretty short on advertisements. If you’re looking into studying film scores, it’s nice. A bit expensive, at least for my budget, but I think it’s quite worth the extra dough.

-E

Anonymous

I subscribe to Film Score Monthly too, and I love their score analysis articles and when they do their buyer’s guide on certain composers (they haven’t done Elfman yet). They do have a lot of articles on Golden Age composers as well (that might turn you off, but I love it). I’ve learned about certain composers who I’ve never really listened to before, but after an article about Don Ellis I really wanted to get some of his Jazz albums as well as his scores. I recommend it, if you like the above features (and plus they did have a cool Elfman/POTA cover and seem very Elfman-friendly).

Anonymous

All this discussion had me thinking, I haven’t recieved an issue of FSM in a while, how about you Erika? I’m hoping for a big Spider-man article (and cover).

Anonymous

I also subscribe the Film Score Monthly Mag. and i have tested some other mag, and they don`t appeal to me so much as FSM.

by the way have anyone read the review of Spider-man that the british mag. Empire have, in the review they seems to like the movie a lot BUT they don`t like Danny`s score (Can`t imagine why)

Anonymous

Nat –

You know, I haven’t gotten one for about a month and a half…isn’t it 10 issues in a year, or something like that? It’s dissappointing, because I’ve got nothing new to laugh at (did you see the “Big Jake” cover in “Best of…” that was voted as the worst album cover art? Hm…”John Wayne taking a dump with all his clothes on”…that was priceless! I forget who wrote that, but they do seem to employ some sick, twisted minds! I loved it!).

Anyone else who’s interested –

Seriously, I would recommend FSM. They have wonderful score analyses, as Nat mentioned; and I too have learned a lot about the GOlden Age composers – like Korngold. Yes, FSM does seem to be Elfman-friendly…they have a great Elfman interview “Tales from the black side” on their website…you should read it if you ever get the chance…they also had a DE 2 part spread in oh…95, I think…that was also excellent. (It’s the one I have autographed, so I’m partial).

Yes, a nice, big Spidey cover – similar to the POTA one – would make my life rock even more than it already does…and it’s not even close to rocking, more like a mild tumbling…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.