Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Finding Nemo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Spider-Fan
    Participant

I recently went through the IMDb trivia section for “Finding Nemo” (I just re-watched it for the first time in a while) and it says that John Lasseter requested Danny Elfman to score the film, and that early posters even said “Music by Danny Elfman”, but he dropped out of the project early on. I had never heard this before, and it made me think about how interesting a score Danny would have written for that film. Had he finished the project, he may have even begun a working relationship with Andrew Stanton and scored “Wall-E” or been a go-to guy for Pixar like Michael Giacchino and Randy Newman. Does anyone know more about this story?

First I hear of it.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I doubt the validity of this Wikipedia/IMDb info. There are no FINDING NEMO posters will billing blocks, let alone one that credits Danny Elfman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266543/posters

Natrebo
    Participant

In all of the supplemental information on Finding Nemo, Andrew Stanton always says he was listening to Thomas Newman while he was writing the film. I doubt this “rumor” about Danny is true.

johnmullin
    Participant

Yeah, I happened to talk with Randy Newman summer of 2000, over a year before MONSTERS INC., and he said he’d be doing the next picture and Tom would be doing the one after. I didn’t even see that confirmed anywhere for at least until MONSTERS came out.

Albert Brooks replaced William H. Macy as the voice of Marlon early on… maybe somehow the lines got massively crossed on this one?

RCox
    Participant

As far as I know, the only composer to be replaced on a Pixar film is John Barry on “The Incredibles.” Mr. Barry left the project a year before its release, giving Michael Giacchino the opportunity to write a really kick-ass score.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Wrong. Michael Kamen died (he scored THE IRON GIANT for Brad Bird too) and he was replaced by Giacchino

Spider-Fan
    Participant

IMDb says that about Kamen, but it also mentions John Barry. IMDb also talks about Elfman on Finding Nemo, so who knows what the real truth is?

Monsterhead
    Participant

All I know is when I spoke to Michael Apted once, he mentioned that John Barry retired after his film ENIGMA. Besides, Barry pretty much withdrew himself from Hollywood films late in his career, which could explain even dropping out of THE INCREDIBLES. Hell, maybe they’re both accurate stories?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Barry wrote a demo for THE INCREDIBLES. He was in line to score the film, but his demo wasn’t up to snuff.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Man, I would have loved to hear that score by Barry…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.