Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sajrocks
    Participant

i just got an instragram ad pushed to me for the broadway production GARY: A SEQUEL TO TITUS ANDRONICUS going into previews march 9, and the crux of the ad was that danny elfman is doing the music. there’s nothing about him on their site https://garyonbroadway.com/, and i don’t know how to post my screengrab here, but this was the text that appeared below a quick video of elfman in a theater saying “that’s my cue” and title card art seemingly done by ralph steadman that says “original music by danny elfman”:

“For the first time ever, the legendary composer behind Batman and Dick Tracy comes to Broadway. Hear Danny Elfman’s score for GARY: A SEQUEL TO TITUS ANDRONICUS. Previews begin March 9 at the Booth Theatre. http://www.garyonbraodway.com”

how did i not know anything about this living in NYC and working in the performing arts world!? nathan lane is the star of the show (andrea martin just had to back out due to injury), and it is written by a much lauded, visually outrageous downtown performance artist named taylor mac.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Yeah, this was a surprise. It literally premieres tomorrow (March 9!)

Thor
    Participant

Intriguing. I’m assuming it has nothing to do with Taymour’s TITUS (stage or film), but rather the story itself. Would have been cool if it were, though. Goldenthal followed Elfman for BATMAN, and now the scenario would be reversed.

sajrocks
    Participant

‘gary’ opened this weekend and elfman posted a short break-a-leg clip on social media with a bit of the score!

he also says he’s in the recording studio now with a film. would that be MIB: INTERNATIONAL?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Yes, MIB INT, a few seconds of which orchestra contractor Gina Zimitti shared in an Instagram story.

ddddeeee
    Participant

It was recorded, so I imagine this will get a release down the line…

sajrocks
    Participant

Some hard hitting New York Magazine reporting from behind the scenes of ‘Gary’:

“… the penises of Gary need to perform on demand eight times a week, to precise specifications. When they rise, they need to point straight ahead, and they need to be able to swing left to right at a controlled, synchronized pace… The penises and scrota are each fitted onto a dancer’s belt, which the soldiers wear over a regular one, and they’re then controlled wirelessly by Cie Martin, Gary’s props master. ‘One slider moves the Romans up and down, and one slider moves the Romans side to side,’ she said. The pace is not automated, requiring her to work in time to Danny Elfman’s score. When asked if this is the strangest thing she’s ever had to do as a props master, Martin replied, ‘I would say yes — but in this show it is not the strangest thing./

https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/how-gary-does-the-dicks.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.