Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion genre for oingo boingo….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    guitarfreak
    Participant

what category would u place boingo in? i’ve seen them labled as “ska” “punk” “new wave” “rock”……..but what one genre would they be? or do they have their own style that can only be known as “Boingoish” ? XD

elfmanguy
    Participant

Just put it under 80’s! But seriously its in a class all its own! But i guess rock will do! If you wanna be general about it!

boingomusic
    Participant

If you really want to be precise, i guess you’d have to place them under different genres.

They’re 1977-1980 Mystic Knights era would be “Jazz”.

Then, from the 1980 Cat EP to Good for your soul could be “Punk” or “TechnoPop” (as elfman once called it)

From Dead Man’s Party to Dark at the end of the tunnel, I’d say it’s “New Wave”.

And the last BOINGO album would be “Rock”…

Oh, and I forgot the “So-Lo” album… and I muss admit I don’t know where to place it ;-)

Anyway, just place them under “BEST BAND IN THE WORLD”… That’s the most right thing to do.

Eric

SB.com
    Participant

The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo would fall between 1972 to 1979, and incorporated much, much more than Jazz alone. That era defies a single classification, but perhaps Avante garde or eclectic would be accurate. They covered a lot of Jazz territory, but also dabbled in 50s doo-wop (such as “I Got A Job”), classical (such as “Thus Spake Zarathustra” and “Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies”), world music and rock (“I’m Afraid” and many other early “transition” Oingo Boingo tracks were MKotOB-era compositions). Their covers and renditions outweighed their originals much of the time, but their original material covered all this musical ground an more. Eh… long story short (too late); perhaps they really were unclassifiable on their musical side…I think eclectic is perhaps the best description though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.