Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Good Will Hunting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi there,

I am currently working on my master thesis about Elfman’s Good Will Hunting – and I couldn’t gather a lot of information about his work on the film. Question: Is there anything of interest in the booklet for the newly released OST of Good Will Hunting?

Thanks for your help!

DannyBiker
    Participant

I remember of a press interview at the time of the release (with terrible audio) but I could be wrong and I can’t seem to find it anyway… :/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks anyway, Mr Biker ;)

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I have the CD somewhere around here. Since I am reconfiguring my office, my CDs are in 12 very precarious stacks in the corner of the room.

Thor
    Participant

There are indeed some interesting tidbits of information in the GOOD WILL HUNTING booklet, so I suggest that if you are writing a thesis on it — buy the disc! Perhaps you’ll get the costs covered by the institution for which you’re writing.

Good luck!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for getting back to me! Thing is, I don’t have much time left with my thesis – so I wont buy the CD for now (and I live in Germany into the bargain). I have most of the music (which I painstakingly transcribed btw) and I am doing a thorough analysis of it [after I drew an ample picture of Elfman, his working method etc]. So, I’ve got a lot of stuff anyhow – it would just be interesting if there are remarks in the booklet by Elfman or Van Sant about their approach or their way of cooperating, how much freedom both of them had, how Elfman views Will Hunting, etc…
    And one more thing: Is there a mention of someone playing the Irish Flute? I couldn’t find anything about that. Online, you even find the name of the oboe player, in the credits they list the choir, but no flute player. It is not a sample flute, is it?

DannyBiker
    Participant

That’s the interview I was referring to : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1GP63-5rs4&index=9&list=PL7A2EC09F70675F0B

Was it for Good Will Hunting or To Die For ? Anyhow, that part in particular isn’t relevant for you but the rest of it might. But I’m not even sure it was recorded in its entirety…

Thor
    Participant

I could have scanned the booklet for you if I’d had the equipment, Doctor Dash. Alas, I do not.

Any reason you didn’t pick this up when it was released?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mr Biker, thanks for the link! I’ll quote from it because it talks about the nature of Elfman’s and Van Sant’s collaboration and furthermore proofs that Elfmans approach to that particular film is very much his own. You get a sense of that because the music is so unusual – even for Elfman.
    And Thor, thanks for the offer, I highly appreciate it ;) Anyway, its not that bad to not have it. I have the film, the transcriptions, several Elfman Interviews – and of course, my brilliant mind ;) I can set to work. Wish me luck – and thanks for your kind replies!

DannyBiker
    Participant

If it’s not a problem, don’t hesitate to share your work with us, I’m sure we’re all be interested in reading it…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Actually bought the CD now ;)

And sure, I’ll share my work with anyone who’d be interested once it’s all done. It’s in german, though…

Cheers,

D

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.