Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion have danny elfman and tim burton become “disneyfied”?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    darcy1792
    Participant

Hi there…
    I’m doing my dissertation on the works of Danny Elfman and Tim Burton and I was wondering what anyone thought of the idea that the later films that they have made, such as Alice in Wonderland, have lost some of thier individuality. My point is that when they created the films such as Pee Wee’s Big Adventure and Edward Scissorhands they were very much outside the “norm” but I personally felt that Alice in Wonderland had lost some of the elements that make Elfman and Burton so interesting. I did not think the film was twisted enough and was wondering whether anyone agreed with this and whether people think that their later films will become more studio orientated, thanks.

sandyclaws
    Participant

I don’t think Danny Elfman has been effected by the latest Tim Burton movies. Just listen to Hellboy II and Wolfman as proof. Tim Burton on the other hand has become way too predictable and safe. He has definitely been “disneyfied”. Elfman is just stuck scoring them.

boingomusic
    Participant

Well, it was pretty clear to me that by accepting to do this film for disney, Burton would have to follow certain rules. So, I didn’t really expect any outstanding originality, or anything else that would be considered as “outside of the norm”. Doing a movie for Disney means that you’re gonna have to follow that “norm”.
    Knowing that, I could only be amazed to see how he managed to keep that disney “norm” and also add his fantastic universe to it. He really succeeded doing this. I remember having a similar discussion a few years ago about Planet Of The Apes. It feels the same for me. It’s not new material, he had to be faithfull to a certain “norm”, but still, it is and looks and feels like a Burton film.

You ask if they’ve become “disneyfield”… I don’t think so. I simply think that they’ve grown up, they are more mature, and instead of avoiding the “norm” and criticizing it, they’ve learned to accept it, and even play with it.
    Maybe the fact that Danny and Tim have become fathers helped them to be more open to that universe.

And the only fact that Tim’s last movie was “Sweeney Todd” -and it was one of his most dark and violent films- shows that “Alice in Wonderland” or “Charlie and the chocolate factory” are not the only direction he’s taking.

darcy1792
    Participant

I agree with what you say, that he has become somewhat safe and that danny elfman is just scoring but what do you think will happen in the future? will they become definined by studios or move away from them? do you prefer their earlier works, if so why or why not..?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Hasn’t Tim made one studio picture after another? If anything you’ve seen the dilution of Burton’s brand with movies that rip off his style, like LEMONY SNICKET for example. I think if you’re Tim Burton you have no responsibility to anyone beyond Tim Burton. And to call ALICE IN WONDERLAND “Disney-fied”, have you see RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN, G-FORCE, BEVERLY HILLS CHIHUAHUA, et al? THOSE are “Disney-fied” movies, none of which bear any resemblence to ALICE IN WONDERLAND or the work of Tim Burton.

darcy1792
    Participant

no i agree, Burton and Elfman aren’t constrained by Disney but I do think his style of working has evolved, it’s just interesting to hear what people think about how thier films have developed and whether the development is good or whether people still prefer their earlier films.

sandyclaws
    Participant

I just hope Tim Burton will start focusing more time and effort getting a good script together to go along with his amazing visuals. Visuals only go so far. Alice in Wonderland would have been amazing if I wasn’t rolling my eyes at the terribly disjointed plot and bad dialogue.

Natrebo
    Participant

I’ve always wondered if PIXAR ever talked to Burton about directing a film for them since some of his other animation alums from school like Bird and Lassiter have such a pull? It would be interesting for him to Direct and have control over a film of the PIXAR caliber. I haven’t seen “Waking Sleeping Beauty” yet or read how well he got along with his classmates so I don’t know what their relationships were like or are now…. if that makes any since, but PIXAR has always had a high stamp of creative ideals that seem right up his ally if he comes up with a new story to tell.

My pennies worth anyways.

Thor
    Participant

No, I don’t think so. Like any artists, their style evolves, but all the classic Burton trademarks are still there, applied to whatever source material he chooses to tackle. Same with Elfman.

Tim Burton isn’t Pixar material. Heck, he isn’t even Disney material. The man should have never left Warner Bros. With the exception of “Edward Scissorhands”, all his best movies were made at WB.

moongirl84
    Participant

Will Danny ever do “Little Demons” for Disney? What’s the hold up for that?!

That project is pretty much dead.

DannyBiker
    Participant

“Descent Into Mystery, stop livin’ in the past maaaaaaaan !”

:-)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.