Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Hello, all!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Stay84
    Participant

New to these boards, whoo. Usual introduction stuff-name’s Angela, I’m 21 years old, and I’m a pretty new fan of Danny’s work, both with his movie stuff and with Oingo Boingo. Working on discovering more of the latter at this time, but I’m more than willing to keep my eyes peeled for all his movie stuff, too, it’s just a matter of FINDING it (here in my little town in Wyoming, there’s not a whole heck of a lot of variety of things around. Thank god for internet shopping sites, is all I have to say).

Oddly enough, though, guess it should’ve been no surprise I’d eventually get into Danny’s work-he was involved with quite a few things I loved/remembered watching on occasion when I was younger: “Beetlejuice” (both the movie and the cartoon), “Nightmare Before Christmas”, the song “Weird Science”, “Tales From The Crypt” (didn’t watch that show regularly, but I caught it once or twice as a child), and of course I’d see shows like “The Simpsons”, too. Just never really knew who was behind it all for the longest time. But now I know, and I’m really enjoying getting to know his work in general. And I’m happy to find a place to talk about these things as well. Yay! So it’s nice to meet all of you, and I look forward to joining in the fun here.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Welcome! You came along just like I did about 3 or so years ago, having heard the music before but never having a name to put with it. All I can say is that you should listen to the “Spider-Man” score and you’ll be thrilled.

Kipobe
    Participant

Spider-Fan is right. Spider-Man renewed my zeal in scores and Danny after I dropped off in the mid-90’s, but nothing has topped the feeling I got from first hearing Edward Scissorhands. Still my favorite score to date, and a beautiful listen-through.

Although last year gave us both Corpse Bride and Chocolate Factory which are both great listen-throughs each.

All the same, welcome Angela.

SleepyHello
    Participant

well hello, Angie!
    these guys are right, but if I recommend also listening to the full Beetlejuice score as well as Planet of the Apes and, of course, Batman.

I really could just go on and on and on with this until I list them all, but those are in my top favorite scores not only by Danny, but of all time.

So yeah. and Welcome!

strongballs
    Participant

forbidenn zone is very early danny way before he was a big time hollywood composer. It’s something like nightmare meets tales from the crypt

black beauty is great, very dramatic and sweet. edward sciorhands same but funny music listen to suburbia, the scence in where all the men go to work and return home like the simpsons theme.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s like reading the story of my life…
    It is hard to find some of the rarer stuff, otherwise it won’t be very rare, now would it? The internet is a great source, but you might be surprised what you can find if you scrounge around in the used section of your local record store. I found my copies of Only a Lad, BOI-NGO, and Music for a Darken Theatre 1 that way. Now if only I could do the same for Good for Your Soul…
    I also would recommend yard sales and swap meets (just make sure it’s the real thing and not pirated crap). Other than that, make sure to keep an eye out for that stuff, because you’ll probably find it when you least except.

Also, I beg of you to secure yourself a copy of Farwell. It was the last Oingo Boingo concert ever and you can get the audio CDs, or you could get the video on DVD (or maybe even VHS, so then we could be video tape twins!)

Stay84
    Participant

First off, thanks, everyone, for the welcome!

Second…*Jots down all the suggestions made here* Thanks for this as well. I’ll keep poking around at our Hastings store here and see what they have. I did manage to find the Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride soundtracks there recently (excellent CDs, the both of them. Danny’s voice on the former in particular…gaaaah…so good), along with 3 Oingo Boingo CDs (one of which, Dark At The End Of The Tunnel, I am LOVING right now), so we’ll see what else turns up there.

I managed to catch some of the “Edward Scissorhands” movie on TV the other day (I’ve yet to see that movie in full, believe it or not). The music sounded absolutely gorgeous from what I heard. And as for the mention of that “Forbidden Zone” movie…if what I have heard/seen thus far is anything to go by, I may have to apologize to my mom, the Monkees’ “Head” movie may NOT be the most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen in my life. “Nightmare” meets “Tales From The Crypt”, eh? Hmmmm…*Is intrigued*.

And I’m working right now on getting myself the “Farewell” show. Perhaps I’ll snag some of these recommended scores alongside the show while I’m at it. So much to catch up with…ah, well, it’ll be good to discover it all. Thanks again.

KWashi
    Participant

Spider-Man was what introduced me to Danny Elfman’s name, Batman was the score that made me a fan, having watched that movie over and over as a kid.
    My advice is buy Music for a Darkened Theatre 1, 2, Batman, and The Nightmare Before Christmas”, but definitely the Darkened Theatres for a cheap overview of Elfman’s work up until ’97 and some stuff that you can’t readily get otherwise. Batman is my personal favorite CD out of the 400+ I have, and Nightmare’s just too much fun with all the songs and stuff.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

Flubber…the rest is pointless.

Kipobe
    Participant

“…the rest is pointless”

haha

Lady Jaye
    Participant

Hello.
    Well I also slightly new to this discussion stuff but I do like this website and am a 21 old Salt Lake City-in my you have as much fun on this site as I.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.