Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘Houdini’ developments

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Looks like Hugh Jackman will in fact play Houdini in Danny Elfman and David Yasbek’s musical:

http://broadwayworld.com/article/RIALTO_CHATTER_Jackman_Learning_the_Tricks_of_the_HOUDINI_Trade_20010101

Weepy Donuts
    Participant

They need to update the bio – Milk is mentioned as an upcoming project. I believe that means that Danny is now a FOUR time Academy Award nominated composer. It doesn’t mean anything different for fans, but whoever provided the info to the press needs to get the information updated. This project sounds great and will probably be receiving additional press very soon.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Well, I do think Hugh Jackman will make a nice Houdini…and judging from the Oscars, I would imagine that he is very enthusiastic about the part.

gordonblu
    Participant

Maybe Jackman was trying REALLY hard to impress Danny at the Oscars.

Jackman’s thoughts during musical numbers…
    “See? See,Danny? I would make a GREAT Houdini! I’m Magic! Are you Watching me Mr. Elfman? SIR?”

johnmullin
    Participant

Well, I think it may have been the other way around. Getting someone of Jackman’s status to agree to star in the musical pretty much ensures that it will get made.

evil-dead
    Participant

these guys need proof readers:

” Elfman has earned four Oscar nominations for his inventive scores to Good Will Hunting , Men in Black, Big Fish and most recently Mike. “

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

“We’re going to do a workshop of that in January [2011], so we’re off and running,” he told Broadway.com on opening night of Driving Miss Daisy. “We have some amazing people on board: [writer] Aaron Sorkin, [composer] Danny Elfman, [director] Jack O’Brien. It’s going to be a really, really interesting group, so I’m excited.”

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/154076/hugh-jackman-excited-to-make-musical-magic-on-broadway-in-houdini/

johnmullin
    Participant

Wow, I had no idea that Aaron Sorkin had written the book for it. Cool! I hope this make it to CD at some point.

elfboy91
    Participant

That’s pretty exciting. I love A FEW GOOD MEN(never seen the play though) and THE WEST WING and I had to see THE SOCIAL NETWORK 3 times! Now Sorkin is working on this. I’m pumped! I hope this comes to reality(Broadway) while I’m at college up here in Boston.

John, if the play is popular it’ll get a soundtrack release.

sajrocks
    Participant

According to a Variety report today, Elfman is off Houdini:

“Capitalizing on Hugh Jackman’s recent B.O.-busting Broadway stint, producers of developing tuner “Houdini” have confirmed the show as Jackman’s next Main Stem project, targeting a 2013-14 opening for the new musical with a score by Stephen Schwartz and book by Aaron Sorkin. Jack O’Brien is on board to helm… Danny Elfman was previously on board to provide the tunes.”
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118048094

:(

admin
    Participant

I blame MEN IN BLACK 3 for everything!

lonzoe
    Participant

Disappointing. Though I’m not into musicals. I was really looking forward to what Elfman would compose for this. First the Edward Scissorhands musical and now this. What’s with Elfman’s bad luck with broadway musicals?

admin
    Participant

2012 was looking pretty busy, now less so. Thankfully we’re still guaranteed DARK SHADOWS, FRANKENWEENIE and MEN IN BLACK… Right? ;)

Thor
    Participant

Could that mean we will eventually see some demo tapes of the songs surface, like they did with previous discarded musicals LITTLE DEMONS and JIMMY CALLICUT?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.