Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Despicable Me 3 had a song album released by Columbia and then a digital score released by Backlot. I imagine the same is happening here.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Samples are on iTunes. The theme in the first track is a real earworm.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster
    sajrocks
    Participant

a nod to “welcome christmas” from the 1966 film in the first bars of the opening? fah who foraze, dah who doraze indeed!

sajrocks
    Participant

additional thoughts just posted to FSM after second listen:

some of elfman’s brightest, airiest orchestrations in years (can really hear between the sections with some great woodwind clarity)…

loving the kooky faux rock/jazzy riffs al la ‘the incredibles’ in “walking toward destiny”, “grinch’s wild ride” and especially “mailing the letter”…

well hello reedy organ, theremin and i think elfman’s first use of full bell choir ever…

some terrific stallingesque writing reminiscent of his work on “meet the robinsons” and obvs “nightmare before christmas”…

knocks the choir/brass big christmas sound out of the park, and keeps the tchaikovsky pizzicato string + glockenspiel holiday cliche ALIVE…

standout tracks: “the big opening”, “christmas in whoville”, “lost lonely boy”, “loudest snow”, “taking the bait” and showstoppers “grinch’s wild ride” and “stealing christmas”…

ddddeeee
    Participant

It’s a bit distracting to hear that Oz theme (that later was used as a secondary theme for Time in Alice 2) all over this, but it’s Elfman unleashed, so obviously I’m loving it. The opening track is fantastic.

Still a bit bummed by the lack of CD.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Wish the recent Elfman London recordings were closer-mic’ed. I prefer being in the orchestra rather than outside of it.
    Lots of Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet too. Haven’t really picked out the main theme yet, but so far the score is a romp.

ddddeeee
    Participant

This was recorded in LA.

Much prefer the London recordings myself.

Thor
    Participant

After one listen, I’m not too thrilled. Lots of mickey-mousing and brass “screams” (reminiscent of FLUBBER, which is not a compliment). As previously mentioned, this is NOT the type of Elfman I gravitate towards these days.

I’ll sit impatiently and tap my fingers while I wait for his next indie project (or concert work) to be released.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Yikes, dddeee, you’re right. I think I got this and DUMBO mixed up. My daughter is almost 1 year old and my memory hasn’t returned… Those dumb dad sitcoms might not be totally wrong.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Saw the movie. It’s exactly what you’re expecting.

Score is really generously mixed. Some moments which normally would have screamed for crazy mickey-mousing were played less ‘notey’ (no idea how to explain this musically), which I thought was interesting from Elfman. ‘It’s Better This Way’ and ‘Lost, Lonely Boy’ are really lovely in context.

I think I prefer this to Elfman’s other non-Burton animated scores. It has a lot of heart.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Elfman’s 10th film to hit $200M at the domestic box office. Will end up being his fifth biggest movie in the US unadjusted for inflation.

ddddeeee
    Participant

CD coming next month?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Hmmm, nothing on .ca yet. I recently picked up the song track album for completion sake. This would be a more worthwhile addition.

lonzoe
    Participant

I figured this would get a CD release after Back Lot Music recently released pressed CDs of BlacKkKlansman, which was released digitally upon its theatrical release. Us Elfman fans have a lot to look forward to with Elfman CD releases next month e.g. The Grinch, Dumbo, and Eleven Eleven.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I appreciate that they wanted to maximise sales of the song compilation, but if this were for any composer other than Elfman, I’d be pretty miffed at having to buy the score twice.

ddddeeee
    Participant

My CD arrived. Unlike most (all?) of the Backlot releases I own, this one came in a jewel case.

lonzoe
    Participant

Is the score album in chronological film order? If not, what is the correct film order of the tracks? And where would “A Wonderful Awful Idea” would fit in the chronological film order of the tracklist? Since that track (for some odd reason) wasn’t included on the score album but released on the song album. Don’t mean to come off lazy or anything but I would greatly appreciate any input on the chronological film order of the score if anybody knew it. If not? No worries.

ddddeeee
    Participant

‘A Wonderful Awful Idea’ is just a mash-up of two of the tracks from the score. If you have the score, you have no need for that track.

ddddeeee
    Participant
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.