Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion I think Raimi hated Elfman even before Spidey 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Nick Parker
    Participant

I honestly like the Spider-Man scores (especially the second one) more than the Batman scores. And the complete rejected score from Danny Elfman is absolutely superb, and why someone would want other music eludes my comprehension. Also, I would like to commend member Danny Biker for his excellent YouTube.com videos regarding the Spider-Man 2 score.

elfboy91
    Participant

I actually prefer Batman Returns to Batman and Spiderman… am I the only one?

I think so.

elfboy91
    Participant

Ha… okay. I’ll go sit in my corner…

Nick Parker
    Participant

Yes, please do so and think about what you did.

(Currently listening to “Dragon Roost Island”)

Returns is cool and all, but Batman is a million times better. And since both are great scores that’s saying something.

elfboy91
    Participant

Of course this is all opinions.. so I think that Returns is better than Batman… : )

Nick Parker
    Participant

And there I concur with you. High-schoolers unite!

Natrebo
    Participant

I’m with you elfboy on Batman Returns, it’s one of my favorite Elfman scores – at least in the top five for me! Some of the writing in that score is the closest Elfman has come to his Shostakovitch influence, and the Catwoman theme is simply perfect!

TenderLumpling
    Participant

(Currently listening to “Dragon Roost Island”)

Yay! Legend of Zelda.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Favorite Composers of All Time:

1. John Williams
    2. Danny Elfman
    3. Koji Kondo

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Ha, ha. The end title to A Link to the Past almost makes me cry. :)

Anyway, back on topic, the unreleased Spider-Man 2 material that can be watched on youtube is really quite excellent. You really can’t judge the score fully until you hear all those great cues. The film gives the score little justice.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Indeed on both of your points.

Correction. There is no un-released Spidey 2 material. What you hear on YouTube is what’s on the CD.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Um, maybe you should search “Spider-Man 2 Music Restored ” on youtube.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Yes, they are created by fellow member Danny Biker. He used music that “leaked” from the recording sessions before Sam Raimi foolishly eliminated his music. Really, the complete recording sessions makes for a wonderful listening experience.

Danny Biker’s video is music from the CD. Train/Appreciation is on the CD. Aunt May Packs is on the CD. Doc Ock’s Experiment Gone Wrong and Surgery Room Massacre is on the CD. Bank Robbery and Saving May is on the CD. Whatever was cut on from the climax is on the CD.

The only thing I don’t recall on the CD is the Pizza Delivery Man cue. However, chances are it’s there and I haven’t bothered to look for it.

Nick Parker
    Participant

I can list a multitude of music that was not on the CD.

The music when Spider-Man confronts Doc Ock for the final time
    “Happy Montage”
    The burning building scene
    The music when Peter attempts to attend the play, only to have two robbers delay him.
    The music when Doc Ock’s experiment goes horribly awry was not released on the album

There is quite a bit more, but I do not think I need to pester you with the rest.

You’re right about “happy montage”, “burning building”, “play” and “ock experiement”. Still…that doesn’t change the fact that half of the rejected music is on the CD. Secondly, as for the final fight between spidey and ock it’s possiblie that Elfman left that out on purpose. He already included Armageddon/A Really Big Web on the CD. I think it was just one of those annoying “let’s leave it out for the heck of it” things that Elfman does sometimes. Like in the first CD he left out Peter’s first wall climbing music which as I recall everyone was upset with.

Nick Parker
    Participant

I certainly was upset about it. The recording sessions rectified that to an extent, but I would prefer something legitimate.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Secondly, as for the final fight between spidey and ock it’s possiblie that Elfman left that out on purpose.

That is a great cue. The part when Spidey swings back into Doc Ocks lair is simply majestic! Why it was replaced in favor of tracking I have no idea.

The only thing I don’t recall on the CD is the Pizza Delivery Man cue. However, chances are it’s there and I haven’t bothered to look for it.

That is not on the album, by the by.

Okay. Fine. So some stuff was left out. Still, a lot of the rejected music is in the CD so it’s better than nothing.

Nick Parker
    Participant

You are absolutely correct.

gordonblu
    Participant

If you can track down the bootleg 2 disc complete score it is totally worth it! For the Chris Young haters, be ye warned; his versions of the train and Doc Ock’s original accident are on there too. I was also able to come accross he complete score to the first Spider-Man as well. I’m not advocating unofficial releases, but in this case I was desperate, plus I already bought the original albums so I did support Elfman monetarily speaking.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Hm, the one I have includes only the Danny Elfman material…not that I am complaining. Upon listening to that, I noticed some weird (but welcome, in my opinion) album decisions they made.

For instance, the second Track “MJ’s New Life/Spidus Interruptus” also seems to contain “Not Back Yet” (by the way, I love the strings that begin that cue, and I was disappointed to learn that it was replaced with tracked Main Titles in the film). Hey wait, where does “Spidus Interruptus” go in the film, anyways? I wish the album had liner notes….

There also seems to be various micro-edits in Tracks such as “Armageddon/ A Really Big Web!”, “Doc Ock Is Born”, and “The Goblin Returns”. Nothing major, but there are some nice variations of Spider-Man’s Theme in the first example that was exempted from the album.

Man, am I in the mood to do a complete analysis of the first two Spider-Man scores….

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.