Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion iTunes claims that Dead Man’s Party was a #1 hit single

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I saw iTunes include Dead Man’s Party as part of a compilation album of #1 singles from the 1980’s. So I double-checked the billboard site and Oingo Boingo only had two hit singles: Weird Science in 1985, which peaked at #45, and Dead Man’s Party in 1986, which peaked at #85. Those are far from #1 hit singles. The name of the compilation album is 20 #1’s: 80’s Pop. Dead Man’s Party is track #9.

While digging around the Billboard site, I learned that Oingo Boingo’s most successful album is 1994’s Boingo. It peaked at #71. As for Danny Elfman, his most successful album is Batman. It peaked at #30. Spider-Man 2 is listed as peaking at #7, but that’s the soundtrack album not the score album.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

#1 in our hearts? ;)

DannyBiker
    Participant

#1 song where a guy goes to a party where no one’s still alive.

boingomusic
    Participant

It has become such a cult song that people really do consider it as a n°1 hit single.

But I must say I’m confused about 1994 Boingo being their most successfull album.

The “Dead Man’s Party” album was the only certified GOLD record. So, in terms of sales, this is definitely their best selling album. I believe “Boingo Alive” was pretty close as well.

The “Dead Man’s Party” release, as a single, was complicated. Because the song was not meant to be a single in the very start. It was actually released as a b-side to “Juste Another Day” in 1986. It got a second release after the movie “Back to school” came out. This is maybe the reason why the single didn’t sell that much. Being released at different stages, and on two seperate 7″, the sales are actually divided on two different singles.

boingomusic Wrote:

> I’m confused about 1994 Boingo
    > being their most successfull album.
    >
    > The “Dead Man’s Party” album was the only
    > certified GOLD record. So, in terms of sales, this
    > is definitely their best selling album. I believe
    > “Boingo Alive” was pretty close as well.

I think you’re right. Boingo only charted for 3 weeks. It peaking at #71 was probably due to lack of competition. Dark at the End of the Tunnel charted for 14 weeks and peaked at #72. Boingo Alive charted for 11 weeks and peaked at #90. Boi-ngo charted for 16 weeks and peaked at #77. Dead Man’s Party also charted for 16 weeks and peaked at #98. Although, Billboard lists Dead Man’s Party as having two release dates: December 1985 and January 1986. Also, it seems like I misread. Just Another Day is the song that peaked at #85 in 1986. Dead Man’s Party peaked at #45 in 2010 as a digital single.

Thor
    Participant

Fascinating figures — thanks for sharing!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.