Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion La Chanson de Mariage (The Wedding Song)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lucius
    Participant

So, I was drunk and bored this weekend, (how that is different from every other weekend, I’ll never know) and decided to throw in my ‘Corpse Bride’ DVD and watch it for the 57th time. While I was flipping through the different audio tracks listening to the score only tracks, I flipped to the foreign language tracks. I found it funny listening to a spanish Johnny Depp, but then I started thinking…well what did they do for the songs? Did they actually go through all the trouble of re-recording all the voices and choirs for Elfman’s music in different languages? I just assumed since it would be sooo much work that they would just play the songs in English and just have foreign subtitles underneath. So, I skipped to ‘The Wedding Song’ and lo and behold, they actually went to the trouble; it was quite amazing. Especially listening to the choral from the spiders in french was quite lovely. I also liked hearing the Spanish version of ‘Remains of the Day” to see how they did Danny voice. It’s not too bad.

So, long story short, I’m sure this isn’t news to anyone, but if you haven’t scoured through the audio tracks on your DVD, check it out, for a laugh or two in the least.

Lucius

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Are you sure you weren’t completely drunk? You know… Before I check for myself.

Ryan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don’t all the best stories start out as “I was drunk and bored?” If not, they should ; )

Anyway, it’s the same way with Nightmare Before Christmas, although I believe that the alternate audio was only in French, or at least in the version I have. I used to come home from school, which the film in English, and then go back and watch it in French because I was studying the language at the time and I wanted to hear native French speakers (there aren’t a lot of those running around L.A.) Low and behold, the songs were re-dubbed! It was incredibly strange and wonderful to hear the residents of Halloween Town singing “C’est ça Halloween” (at least that’s what I think they were singing; I haven’t seen it in a while because I lost my DVD)

I will defiantly have to check that out with Corpse Bride.

Thor
    Participant

Ehm….redubbing songs is pretty customary in countries where English is not the first language. Why wouldn’t the songs be redubbed when the dialogue is?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Well there’s the expense, locating talent, recording the songs, having them approved by the filmmakers, etc. I think the initial post figured that the songs – due to those difficulties – would be subtitled in the local language. That may very well be the case for smaller territories.

Ryan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.