Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Lack of Elfman Franchise/Series Music

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

The plan is to make two more.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Descent Into Mystery, April Fool’s Day is not until Wednesday: you have no business making such an obvious and terrible joke like that right now, it is not funny.

elfboy91
    Participant

I just hope that T4 is good! If it’s good then I will be happy! But overall McG hasn’t turned out to be a good director! Lets just cross our fingers and hope he’s screwed up and actually given us an acceptable film for once!… sorry to be uncouth…

gordonblu
    Participant

Getting back to the original post, Elfman might not do more than two films in a franchise, but he has lasted longer in the superhero genre than anybody, including John Williams. Williams bailed on Superman II leaving Superman the movie as his only superhero score while Danny has done 11 diffierent superhero movies as well as penning the theme to the Flash TV series. No one else can boast that!

Thor
    Participant

Well, Williams did some new themes for SUPERMAN IV, of all things. But you’re probably right that there are no more superhero themes on his resume. Unless, of course, you stretch the definition to include guys like Indiana Jones, Harry Potter or the Star Wars dudes.

elfboy91
    Participant

Um… No… That deserves a different definition… Like Epic films… Adventure films.. stuff like that… :)

….

gordonblu
    Participant

Absoutely. And the only reason didn’t include Supes IV is because he only wrote themes and not the whole score. If that was part of the quation, then I would have to include the other Superman films because his themes were used. I realize that I am being double sided here because I did mention the Flash though…

To begin with, Williams didn’t write anything for Superman IV. Alexander Courage simply used alternate takes from the original score. You can hear those on the 2001 DVD of Superman: The Movie. Secondly, when did Elfman score 11 superhero movies? Shouldn’t it be 7? Batman, Darkman, Batman Returns, Spider-Man, Hulk, Spider-Man 2, and Hellboy 2. Men in Black, Men in Black II, and Wanted aren’t superhero movies. They’re just comic book adaptations. There’s a SLIGHT difference.

Anyway…McG gave an interview recently to MTV where he said a sequel to Terminator WILL happen if the first movie is a success. So…this is another possible franchise for Elfman.

Natrebo
    Participant

On the CD and Documentation for Superman IV it has John Williams writing the themes for Nuclear Man and Lacey… so he didn’t write these? Did Courage just use Williams name to make the score more important then? What news do you have on this issue Descent?

Nick Parker
    Participant

I trust Michael Mattesino in this matter.

gordonblu
    Participant

I include those because they are adapted from comic books, though you ARE right, they aren’t superheroes. I don’t know though, being able to bend bullets to fly whichever direction you want is pretty super-powerish…

Thor
    Participant

Descent Into Mystery Wrote:

> To begin with, Williams didn’t write anything for
    > Superman IV. Alexander Courage simply used
    > alternate takes from the original score. You can
    > hear those on the 2001 DVD of Superman: The Movie.

I’m sorry, Descent, but Williams wrote “Jeremy’s Theme”, “Nuclear Man Theme” and “Lacy’s Theme” aka “Someone Like You”. The rest of the music was, as you say, for the most part Courage adaptations of the classic Williams themes:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8874

SUPERMAN 2 and 3, however, were pure adaptations by Ken Thorne. No new Williams material there.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.