Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Lalaland's Expanded Mission:Impossible (2019?)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant
    DannyBiker
    Participant

The link is broken… :/

Monsterhead
    Participant

Its funny that you just posted this, as I just saw Mission: Impossible Fallout yesterday (its as great as they say it is).

While watching the film, I noticed that Lorne Balfe prominently reuses a variation of a sub-theme from Elfman’s MI soundtrack. You really hear it during the climactic helicopter chase. Has anyone else noticed this?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Vinyl coming from Mondo October, 2018:

Mission: Impossible – Music From The Original Motion Picture Score 2XLP

I think what you’re hearing is the Schifrin that Elfman worked into his own score?

Thor
    Participant

While watching the film, I noticed that Lorne Balfe prominently reuses a variation of a sub-theme from Elfman’s MI soundtrack. You really hear it during the climactic helicopter chase. Has anyone else noticed this?

Are you sure you’re not thinking of “The Plot” — which is a secondary Schifrin theme for the original series that Elfman also alluded to in his score now and then? Balfe used that on several occasions.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Yes, Ryan already pointed that out to me. Hadn’t listened to the score in FOREVER, but somehow that secondary theme by Schifrin stayed with me and I don’t think I ever heard it in any other MI movies. Or at least, not as prominently.

sajrocks
    Participant

I don’t think I ever heard it in any other MI movies.

Kraemer uses “The Plot” a bit in his ROGUE NATION score, e.g. “A400”, “Havana to Vienna”, “The Syndicate” and I think most prominently in “The Torus”.

Oh man. Elfman’s M:I score is securely in my top three all time favorites given the pure sonic invention and percussive density. I remember my jaw dropping in the theater hearing “Red Handed”, “The Heist” and the whole end train sequence for the first time. Over the years tracks like “Max Found”, “Mole Hunt” and “Betrayal” have really grown on me as prime examples of subtle psychic manipulation. Can’t wait for the expanded release (and hopefully Mike Matessino’s keen restorative work and liner notes)!

DannyBiker
    Participant

So, hem, it may not be the Lalaland release but something interesting appeared online…

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Isn’t that how it always works? 😉

DannyBiker
    Participant

Well yes, complete scores tend to be bootlegs for a long time before getting a proper release but in this case, the structure and content really looks like the one from an official release. I really hope it’s not actually Lalaland’s work that leaked months before the release.

I’ll buy it anyway of course. Gotta keep on the collection…

ddddeeee
    Participant

“Finally moving forward.”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.