Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion MIB International (summer 2019)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    boingomusic
    Participant

Does anyone know if Elfman is part of the new MIB reboot that’s coming out this summer?
    Apparently, no one appears as a composer yet…

DannyBiker
    Participant

I doubt it honestly. I even doubt they will bring back any of his themes…

lonzoe
    Participant

Actually Men In Black International is more of a spin off than a reboot. Emma Thompson even returns as Agent O. Anyways I don’t think Elfman will return as composer because I’ve heard Rick Baker didn’t return to do the make up either. Don’t know if it was either because Baker wasn’t approached or interested. So it wouldn’t surprise me if Gray avoids hiring Elfman as well.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Hasn’t Rick Baker retired?

The first trailer used a bit of Elfman’s theme. His next (announced) movie isn’t due out until 2020 as Dumbo was recorded in October. I think it’s possible that he’s back.

lonzoe
    Participant

Correct Baker announced his retirement about four years ago, but I’m still skeptical about Sony and Gray bringing Elfman on board.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Well is this confirmation enough? 🙂

MEN IN BLACK INTERNATIONAL
    Sony Music
    CD Release: June 14, 2019

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Oh, and:

Co-composed with Chris Bacon!

ddddeeee
    Participant

Interesting.

I hope Elfman’s actively involved and it’s not the ‘Here’s my music for the other movies – off you go’ situation that seemed to happen with Jason Bourne.

DannyBiker
    Participant

My guess is that it will mostly be a Bacon score with some light Elfman contributions to maintain his legacy on the franchise.

Following my opening statement above, watch me being proven wrong in 4 months.

lonzoe
    Participant

So I guess this means Elfman probably won’t be heavily involved with the score. Elfman will probably come up with the themes, while Bacon will be utilizing ’em as he’s taking over scoring duties. I hope that isn’t the case and that Elfman is more involved, but I don’t know with the & between both names most likely means Bacon will be contributing quite a bit for MIB:I.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I imagine/hope that the pitch was that Elfman would do what he can and oversee the rest. Can’t imagine Sony approaching Elfman and then being happy with getting Chris Bacon instead (no offence intended).

ddddeeee
    Participant

Music department consists of Elfman regulars so far. Fingers crossed.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Apparently, he worked with Chris Bacon on Why We Rise.

ddddeeee
    Participant

CD on the 14th.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Cover art

lonzoe
    Participant

Well the album art is already an improvement over MIB3’s. https://i.imgur.com/YpTo1an.jpg

ddddeeee
    Participant

‘Men in Black: International’ Score Album Details

1. Logos (1:28)
    2. L Train (2:49)
    3. Seeing Is Believing (4:45)
    4. Job Interview (0:55)
    5. I Found You (1:59)
    6. Viper Room (1:56)
    7. Twins (1:09)
    8. Who’s That Guy? (1:23)
    9. VR Room (1:37)
    10. Too Much (1:31)
    11. Vungus Aftermath (1:50)
    12. Here Comes Trouble (1:45)
    13. Riding a Bike (2:57)
    14. Blue Giant (2:04)
    15. Pink Trousers (3:58)
    16. Flying Fists (3:36)
    17. Kabla (2:26)
    18. Demise (1:31)
    19. Where’s The Weapon? (2:32)
    20. Ah, Paris (1:29)
    21. The Truth (2:36)
    22. Portal (2:09)
    23. Like a Son (0:59)
    24. Promotions (2:56)
    25. Red Button (1:12)
    26. End Credits (1:04)

9fingeredElf
    Participant

Any guesses on which cues are Danny’s?

ddddeeee
    Participant

Samples

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/men-in-black-international-original-motion-picture-score/1466783981

Elfman will have a credit on any cue which uses his theme(s), so we’re unlikely to know who wrote what unless one of them mentions it in an interview.

Monsterhead
    Participant

I already like it more than MI3

Monsterhead
    Participant

I already like more than MIB3

ddddeeee
    Participant

MIB3 is my overall favourite score of the trilogy. The action music is a lot stronger than in the other two IMO.

This does sound fun though. I’ll be darned if ‘Red Button’ isn’t an Elfman cue – Christian Grey’s theme strikes again (as it did in Real Steel, Oz, Avengers, Justice League…). If any of that is Bacon (and a lot of it almost certainly is), it’s Bacon imitating Elfman; there are Elfmanisms galore in most samples.

K’s theme popping up in that one cue is interesting.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Score is out there. Lots of new sounds and quirks around the main theme – the way it’s used reminded me of how Elfman/Buckley played with the main theme in Fifty Shades Freed (Makeover and Blueprints). Probably closest to MIB2 out of all the scores, but it doesn’t feel quite as repetitive to me. Return of K’s theme is jarring (Elfman doesn’t play with it like he did in the other sequel scores either). My ears picked up two new themes, but I’ve no idea what/who they’re for.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.