Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion More Sweeney News! Elfman Related!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    RCox
    Participant

Several websites are confirming the shocking news that Helena Bonham Carter has been cast in “Sweeney Todd” as Mrs. Lovett, Todd’s partner-in-crime and the worst baker in all of London.

Meanwhile, Aint It Cool News (a website I don’t admire) has posted an interview with Tim Burton that touches on Elfman’s role in “Sweeney Todd.” Prepare to be disappointed:

HK: On SWEENEY TODD, is Danny (Elfman) going to be doing some re-orchestration for you on that?

TB: I’ve talked to him, but I just don’t… My relationship with Danny now… I don’t think I’d ask him to do that just because it wouldn’t be using him to what his great talents are. He’s busy at the moment, so I think… I mean, he’s very supportive of me and that’s great, but it wouldn’t utilize his talents very well.

HK: It was just one of the things I was wondering because I couldn’t really imagine him musically fitting in with that, you know?

TB: I know he’s done things, like when did the PSYCHO (remake)… when he was involved with that thing, but you know… I wouldn’t ask him to do something like this because it wouldn’t really use his talents the way they should be presented.

You heard it here first, folks.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Actually we heard it here first… HAHA… :)

http://elfman.filmmusic.com/forum/read.php?7,21963

Ryan

RCox
    Participant

D’oh!

chii
    Participant

My concern is this: TB: I’ve talked to him, but I just don’t… My relationship with Danny now… I don’t think I’d ask him to do that just because it wouldn’t be using him to what his great talents are.

Is this another falling out? Meepers….Maybe I just think more pessimistically but this is a red flag in my eyes -__-

RCox
    Participant

He might be referring to their working relationship. After working together to great effect for over twenty years, it would almost be kind of insulting to ask Elfman to come on to ‘supervise’ a project whose music has been already written for twenty-seven years.

elfmanguy
    Participant

Does this mean hes not even doing score for the film? He is scoring the thing isnt he? Please somebody tell me that hes at least scoring it! He is isnt he?

Thor
    Participant

There isn’t any score in this film outside Sondheim’s own compositions, as far as I know. Hence there is nothing for Elfman to do. So NO, he is NOT scoring this film AT ALL.

elfmanguy
    Participant

Then your telling me I am free to start crying now?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

It’s unfortunate that there will be a Tim Burton film without a new Elfman score, there really is no opportunity on SWEENEY TODD for Danny to contribute. It’s really a wall-to-wall musical.

Ryan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.