Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion My Elfman-esque Composition & Sweeney Todd

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kane0rz
    Participant

Hey, just completed my latest composition, my aim was to make a composition that reflected elfmans darker scores, such as Red Dragon or The Hulk, but with a slight heroic twist and without simply making it a “elfman rip off” sounding piece.

http://www.eggdisk.com/files/262007_vp9oi/Main%20Titlesv3.mp3

any comments on how to improve it would be much appreciated

thanx

Kane

p.s

Other than the fact that Tim wanted sweeney todd to be based on the stageplay and therefore thought that this project wouldn’t suite danny’s style or show off his skills as such, are there any other reasons for the two not collaborating on this project?

Knight
    Participant

Well, I must tell you, it might be more interesting if…..I could hear it :P

I am getting an error message saying “Access Denied! The file is not available because you are either not logged-in or do not have the owner’s permission to view it”.

Soooo, I made an account. Nope, still no good. Well, I went through a bit more than most people would even bother with so bottom line man is get this on a site where we can get to it easily, like soundclick or something, and hope your post doesn’t get deleted in the meantime :D

Knight (I have nothing better to do)

Kane0rz
    Participant

i tired to put it in a generic shared folder aswell however i cant get it to work. if anyone wants to hear it its the first piece playing on my myspace music page in the standalone player, it plays automatically so there shouldn’t be any problems

http://www.myspace.com/kane0rzmusic

…currently working on getting it to another file hosting site but until then the afformentioned link has the said composition on it.

anybody else compose at all?

Kane

Knight
    Participant

Ah, there we go.

First off, I dug the overall direction you where going with this piece. But the main problem that I had is that it never seemed to actually go anywhere. There where a few things that held it together overall, but nothing where it smacks you in the face and says “THIS is what we where building towards”. This may have been you intention though, I’m not sure.

Onto the technical points. One thing I STRONGLY recommend you do is remix this, and use some reverb on it. It felt like every instrument was RIGHT in front of my face and it led to the overall sound being WAY too croweded and I couldn’t tell eventually what was supposed to be doing what (orchestration wise). I think it would sound a TON better if you give the instruments their own space.

Anyhow, good work and keep it up :D

For your second question, I think they are using the original composer’s music for it. Don’t know the guy’s name though, never was that big into musicals. But if somehow they can get Danny involved to write a new song so that it can contend for an Oscar, that might be a good idea, OR have Danny reorchestrate it like he did for Psycho…but then again maybe he doesn’t like the music in the first place. We will just have to wait and see I guess.

Knight (Oh, and there are a few composers that lurk around here, and yes, I am one of them)

boingomusic
    Participant

Hi !

I can clearly see your elfman influence. I like the major to minor key changes. I know it’s pretty hard to give a “realistic” orchestral sound to a synth piece, but as Knight said, you should try to add some reverb to make it sound less “dry”.

Yes, there are other composers on this board. I know there’s a very talented person called Mr. Dantz, but I can’t remember his website.

I compose as well (film music and songs). If you want to hear it, here’s the adress :

http://www.myspace.com/illusionsoflight

There are two tracks that might interest you : the first one is “The World Of Senda”, and the second one is “The Heartless Duke” which is a song composed for an animated feature, clearly inspired by Elfman & Burton’s Nightmare Before Christmas.

;-) -Eric

RCox
    Participant

Sweeney Todd is an operatic musical (with music inspired by Bernard Herrmann) that is almost completely sung, meaning that there simply wouldn’t be much for Elfman to do. Furthermore, if they were to add a new song, why not just have the still active Stephen Sondheim write it? I know we’re all Elfman fans, but shouldn’t the original composer be given at least some say as to whether or not his work should be altered?

Thor
    Participant

Hey, that “Heartless Duke” thing was pretty neat. I could obviously hear NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS in it, as well as Williams’ “Star of Bethlehem” from HOME ALONE. Guess it’s the minor mode thing that does it.

boingomusic
    Participant

Thank You so much, Thor.
    Yes, it is exactly that Home Alone / Christmas vibe I wanted to capture.
    I’m happy you liked it ;-)

-Eric

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.