Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion New MFADP – Your Thoughts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

OK, folks – I know you’ve heard this before (and the message on the homepage touting new design in Spring 2014!), but the new MFADP is due THIS Spring. And since I’m in the middle of putting everything together, I’m interested in hearing what you think should stay, go, be added to the site in a 1.0 situation. Things could be rolled into later iterations of the site. A few things to note:

– the new site will put an emphasis back on content, keeping it fresh
    – the site will be ported more or less as is, similiar structure, similar features
    – the message board will be based on bbpress — WordPress’ native message board
    — All posts, users will be ported over, the only thing you’ll have to do is reset your password (easy!)
    – you’ll have the opportunity to fill out your profile a bit, custom avatar, etc.
    – I hope to enlist the help of a handful of people to wrangle and setup news items and content — a TEAM
    – More insight, more engaging content
    – rehaul of media section, videos (in this day and age, are samples even necessary anymore? Please tell me…)

I look forward to your feedback — regulars and lurkers alike! Please note, lurkers — if you’ve never posted before, your account will be zapped into oblivion when I port the board over.

Have at it!

Ryan

Monsterhead
    Participant

Unless you have music samples that are rare and/or unique – I say ditch ’em. Greatly looking forward to the new site design!

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yeah, who needs samples these days…

I’m totally down to help with content (news, reviews, analysis, etc.) , board moderation, etc. It would need some organization between the Team though (avoiding posting the same news, review, etc.) and I could look up for an easy solution for that, an on-line tool perhaps. Something a bit more dynamic than emails.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Thanks, Monsterhead — noted!

Thanks, DannyBiker. I think we’ve discussed your help in the past. I’m happy to have you on the team. I think the board in particular is going to be a huge improvement in look, etc. Imagine, proper YouTube embeds!

I use Basecamp at work for project management. It might be a solution.

Natrebo
    Participant

Since you don’t have to post examples it would be nice to know when and where a selection is available… like where it can be downloaded or if it’s availalble to listen to through spodify or something similar. Can’t wait to see the new look and good luck! Would like to help but I’m busy myself, but if you need something I could help a little.

You rock Ryan!

ddddeeee
    Participant

I’m not too great with the more technical stuff but I’m always on top of news and would be happy to help in any way I can. :)

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Thanks, Nat. Good news, the new forum will have signature files ;)

And with the site running on WordPress, I’ll be able to intensify content, including more links to listen to and get music.

ddddeeee, I’ll reach out again when I’m ready to assemble the team. This should prove to be a big summer for Elfman fans, and I want to make sure we’ve got everything covered!

DannyBiker
    Participant

I concur, half of the time I read something new about Elfman, it’s ddddeeee posting it somewhere ! :D

ddddeeee
    Participant

Student life!

As long as nothing is lost, I’m thrilled with these updates.

Lambegue
    Participant

I’m happy to learn this too !
    If I can help on anything, I’d be happy to do so. Not concerning the news – most of the time I’m far from being the first informed – but for other contents, if you need it…

boingomusic
    Participant

Great News Ryan !

Thank you ;-)

I agree, music samples are not really necessary anymore. But there are a few nice features about Little Demons, or Scream 2’s Cassandra Aria and other rare things that I really enjoyed having around here.

I think it would be really nice to have a list of EVERY SINGLE Elfman soundtrack, with a description of the different releases (official release, Lalaland re-release, Promo release, bootleg etc…)
    So that it’s easy to see what is available and what’s not…
    It’s probably a big amount of work, but it’s something I’d find helpfull.

Maybe a page with the upcoming concerts would be nice. Since the Burton / Elfman is touring, and more and more Film music concert tributes are happening around the world…

Anyway, thank you so much for everything Ryan.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Under the form of a wiki, an exhaustive list of his scores and albums wouldn’t be that much work.

Ryan, quick question. Do you still run those other composer websites? Maybe I’m wrong but I recall you running fan sites for other musicians. If those still exist, maybe you can combine everything into one site. It might bring in more traffic and make the message board more diverse.

Thor
    Participant

A redesign, you say? I believe it when I see it! ;)

Seriously, though, your suggestions sounds fine. The issues I have are only those that have existed for years. Ever since the 90s, I have been hoping for a slightly ‘brighter’ messageboard, and eventually also a more contemporary one that is more attractive to post in.

Other than that, it’s mostly to do with keeping the information up-to-date.

Although the site should be a venue for news and interactivity, there should also be a sort of ‘archive’ section for Elfman’s work. When I did the Elfman Buyer’s Guide for FSM back in 2005, I went through every bit and nook of his career up to that point (including non-film work and Boingo etc.), but you don’t need to go THAT heavy into it. A listing will often suffice.

But if this is really happening, I wish you good luck. Can’t wait to see it.

Thor
    Participant

Oh, a suggestion — if you’re doing a new messageboard, how about having one section for ‘only Danny Elfman’ and another for general film music?

Lambegue
    Participant
    Thor wrote:
    Although the site should be a venue for news and interactivity, there should also be a sort of ‘archive’ section for Elfman’s work. When I did the Elfman Buyer’s Guide for FSM back in 2005, I went through every bit and nook of his career up to that point (including non-film work and Boingo etc.), but you don’t need to go THAT heavy into it. A listing will often suffice.

It would be interesting to say the differences between the different albums when there are several of them, so quite a precise article would be needed. In fact, it would be nice to have a tracklist for every elfman album…

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Descent Into Mystery Wrote:

> Ryan, quick question. Do you still run those other
    > composer websites? Maybe I’m wrong but I recall
    > you running fan sites for other musicians. If
    > those still exist, maybe you can combine
    > everything into one site. It might bring in more
    > traffic and make the message board more diverse.

They still exist more or less. I’ve thought about possibly creating a small network of sites, but I’m just trying to get the Elfman site online first, then Cinemusic. I barely have enough time to accomplish that! We’ll see.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Thor Wrote:

> A redesign, you say? I believe it when I see it!
    > ;)
    >
    > Seriously, though, your suggestions sounds fine.
    > The issues I have are only those that have existed
    > for years. Ever since the 90s, I have been hoping
    > for a slightly ‘brighter’ messageboard, and
    > eventually also a more contemporary one that is
    > more attractive to post in.
    >
    > Other than that, it’s mostly to do with keeping
    > the information up-to-date.
    >
    > Although the site should be a venue for news and
    > interactivity, there should also be a sort of
    > ‘archive’ section for Elfman’s work. When I did
    > the Elfman Buyer’s Guide for FSM back in 2005, I
    > went through every bit and nook of his career up
    > to that point (including non-film work and Boingo
    > etc.), but you don’t need to go THAT heavy into
    > it. A listing will often suffice.
    >
    > But if this is really happening, I wish you good
    > luck. Can’t wait to see it.

Thanks, Thor. The message board should work a lot better. It’ll allow people to have one account to login, post comments and use the message board. Plus there will eventually be member-only benefits and other cool stuff.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

boingomusic Wrote:

> Great News Ryan !
    >
    > Thank you ;-)
    >
    > I agree, music samples are not really necessary
    > anymore. But there are a few nice features about
    > Little Demons, or Scream 2’s Cassandra Aria and
    > other rare things that I really enjoyed having
    > around here.
    >
    > I think it would be really nice to have a list of
    > EVERY SINGLE Elfman soundtrack, with a description
    > of the different releases (official release,
    > Lalaland re-release, Promo release, bootleg
    > etc…)
    > So that it’s easy to see what is available and
    > what’s not…
    > It’s probably a big amount of work, but it’s
    > something I’d find helpfull.
    >
    > Maybe a page with the upcoming concerts would be
    > nice. Since the Burton / Elfman is touring, and
    > more and more Film music concert tributes are
    > happening around the world…
    >
    > Anyway, thank you so much for everything Ryan.

All great suggestions. Those rare samples will sound a LOT better too! ;)

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Thor Wrote:

> Oh, a suggestion — if you’re doing a new
    > messageboard, how about having one section for
    > ‘only Danny Elfman’ and another for general film
    > music?

Easily done – and a great idea. Thanks!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.