Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion New Spider-Man Footage!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Danny Burton
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxFidevwqL4

Hurry up before it’s gone.

One word:

AMAZING.

I wasn’t ready for that.

johnmullin
    Participant

You can also download a QT of the same material in 480 HD here…

http://flash.sonypictures.com/video/movies/spiderman3/Spiderman3_480p_4000kbps.mov

As for the new Young material that plays over the third sequence… well, I think it pretty much sucks! I hope my feelings here are the result of the music getting a bad temp mix… we’ll have to see.

It’s interesting that the first two scenes contain Elfman music that Raimi rejected from the second movie.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

“It’s interesting that the first two scenes contain Elfman music that Raimi rejected from the second movie.”

I noticed that. So we’ll get new material in a way, lol.

As for Young’s music : it sounds a LOT like the cue he wrote for the train sequence. Huge brass blasts, nervous ostanti, silence, then a huge brass blast and then nervous ostanti. Except ‘this time he had several months to write this…hem.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Yeah, I recall someone whining that a choir in Elfman’s two SPIDER-MAN movies was ridiculous, so how can a bellowing Orff-ian chorus be anymore appropriate?

I will reserve judgement until I hear the entire thing because Chris Young deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Ryan

Danny Burton
    Participant

Thanks a lot for that link, johnmullin! That youtube clip doesn’t do justice to the CGI work in the fight scene. That is absolutely incredible, and it isn’t even finished!

Do you have a link to the 720p version? The NBC page is not working for me.

And I agree that Young’s music is nothing to write home about in that scene. I just want to see how all those Elfman bashers are going to spin it [no pun intended, heh] if Young’s music ends up bombing.

johnmullin
    Participant

Well, a situation like this is sort of like a musical Wortschatz test… people hear what they want to hear. I’m sure there will be a lot of people proclaiming what amazing music this is, regardless of how good it actually might be.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Ha, ha, I’m glad to hear that they used the music from Police Squad as a templet for the score.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

The only real question is :

Where the hell is Spider-Fan ?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Where the hell is Spider-Fan ?

I put him on suicide watch.

Lucius
    Participant

“Where the hell is Spider-Fan ? “

He’s at home, washing his tights!!!!

(whoops, wrong movie)

Lucius

Spider-Fan
    Participant

What a day to not be at my computer until 8:00 at night. I appreciate everyone’s concern :)

Anyway, my ears are bleeding. The music had absolutely no substance or any sense of the sinister nature of a villain, just some frantic repetition. Plus, where Young should have made the obvious choice to imitate the Elfman sound (if he’s going to adapt his themes, he MUST adapt the sound, or else the sense of continuity between the films is lost), he instead somehow managed to imitate Don Davis — I feel like there were similar discussions when his “Runaway Train” cue was first heard. My concern for his adaptation of Danny’s original themes has increased even more considering the botching of the original Goblin theme into a cheap knockoff for the new Goblin. But I suppose I’ll just have to live with this for the whole movie, and considering how absolutely blown away I was with that fight scene, hopefully I’ll still walk away from the theater as thrilled as I was with the first two movies, albeit missing the emotions I felt after hearing the soaring music for Spider-Man’s swings.

Spider-Fan has spoken.

stanleyfilms
    Participant

i’ll probably be tarred and feathered for this one, but i thought young’s work here collaborated very well with raimi’s images. the way the music pulsated from begining to end… it rushed in and out like waves, breathing with the pace of the action, until it finally exploded into something like an anti-climax, as does the scene itself. i was at the edge of my seat (this is a terrific action sequence) and the music was a big part of that.
    it’s a little simpler than what elfman would have done; less abstract. that’s why elfman’s a better composer, i think. but maybe raimi prefers music that blends with the action, rather than calls attention to itself.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.