Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion New Sweeney Todd music News…?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Natrebo
    Participant

According to the new issue of Film Music Weekly (www.filmmusicweekly.com) composer Alex Heffes has been brought in to work on the adaptation of Sweeney Todd. It’s the story on the front page of this week’s edition.

Thoughts?

Is it because Elfman already had projects that he was working on?

DannyBiker
    Participant

Burton said several months ago that Elfman wouldn’t be involved because it wouldn’t be a proper use of his talent. I have to agree, it’s better for Elfman to work on original material of his own rather than trying to imitate someone else’s style…

johnmullin
    Participant

Yeah, if Elfman did take the job, it would really piss off fans of SWEENEY TODD if he took many liberties. Therefore Elfman working on the picture would be a lose/lose… fans of the musical would bristle, and fans of Elfman wouldn’t be hearing Elfman’s take on anything… just his producing and arranging skills. The Elfman / Burton relationship isn’t in any trouble, and it looks like all parties involved are approaching it the right way.

Javert
    Participant

I wonder how this makes Alex Heffes feel? haha

Brandon

DannyBiker
    Participant

Mainly good, I think.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Heffes is a talented composer. His score for THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND has it’s moments.

Ryan

RCox
    Participant

I’m just glad to see that the article confirms the involvement of Jonathan Tunick, the orchestrator of the original Broadway show. His arrangements on the original cast recording are brilliant.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Apparently, the trailer will be attached to The Heartbreak Kid, opening tomorrow in US. I hope it hits the internet soon… :-)

Natrebo
    Participant

Arranging is nothing to look down upon. I wonder if John Williams ever got any Broadway fan grief over his work on “Fiddler on the Roof”, or any of his other arranging duties?

johnmullin
    Participant

<>

Well, although Williams was a successful composer at that time (1971), much of what would be known as his signature music was yet to be written when FIDDLER happened. I doubt Williams’ legitimacy as a composer was ever questioned like Elfman’s has been, and I don’t think his music has ever divided film music devotees the way more idiosyncratic guys like Elfman and Zimmer do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.