Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion New video — Elfman/Burton box

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Natrebo
    Participant

Thanks for the new video… also I watched the new video on the facebook page where they mentioned that the USB has extra music that wouldn’t fit on the CDs… so there’s even MORE music to look forward to!!!!! I can’t wait, shouldn’t be long now!

9fingeredElf
    Participant

Ryan are they still planning to release this month?

ddddeeee
    Participant

I heard it was delayed to April though I never got the email myself.

bookbinder3
    Participant

It still says February on the site, and surely that would have been updated. I’m wondering if the shipments will be staggered depending on when you bought it. FSM hear-say?

ddddeeee
    Participant

It was some people on jwfan, two said they got an email about a delay until April.

bookbinder3
    Participant

A delay until April would be announced everywhere. It’s a pretty long time, it’s as long as the original delay from December to February.

Natrebo
    Participant

And the delay might only be for the second pressings. I ordered from the original 1000 and the email that they just sent me was just promo material about the USB drive and no mention of a delay.

bookbinder3
    Participant

That’s possible, but not good for me! Once the first 1000 are out, even if they then need to start making more, it shouldn’t take too long, everything will be tried and tested and problems from the first run should be sorted.

bookbinder3
    Participant

New video up about the accompanying book, “Danse Macabre”:

boingomusic
    Participant

Wow… man, i had no idea there was more “Music Box” suites… I really hope that all the background music on these videos appear on the cd’s OR on the USB key…

What about the release date? Ryan, any idea?

moongirl84
    Participant

These videos about the box set are tempting.

DannyBiker
    Participant

The book is really the only thing I would have loved to get…but 400 € is just out of reach…

I’m more interested in the book than the music, to be honest. I hope someone ends up selling that thing on ebay.

MusicBox31
    Participant

I’ve got a better idea that will make people’s heads explode. And I know others would pay any price…to see Danny Elfman *conduct* Music For A Darkened Theatre Live In Concert…a full orchestra and projected imagery from the Simpsons, Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward, Nightmare, Pee-Wee, Mars, Scrooged and so on. Seeing Danny up at a podium intimately connecting again to his best pieces is what we’d all pay any price to see. How about it, Danny?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Danny doesn’t conduct his own music when it’s recorded, so he may not feel entirely comfortable up there during a concert.

bookbinder3
    Participant

What is it with people wanting him to conduct left right and centre? He is a COMPOSER not a conductor. Some composers conducted their own music (like Bernard Herrmann) and some were pretty lousy conductors when it came to their own music (ahem, Stravinsky, or so people who ought to know say). Danny might well be a horrible conductor. He might be ok. But I cant fault him when he says he likes to hear the music from the speakers, because that’ll be how it’ll sound in the film.

MusicBox31
    Participant

It’d be cool! With the right orchestra he wouldn’t even NEED to be a great conductor. Or do the tour introducing the guest-conductor and people would still pay.

johnmullin
    Participant

Yeah. honestly I’d have no interest in something like that. A lot of Elfman’s filmmusic for me kind of is what it is because of the specific recording. Elfman re-rerecordings never sit right with me, and so a concert in which Elfman (who does not like to conduct, and claims he’s not that good at it anyway) leads an orchestra in renditions that aren’t quite as good is something that I just wouldn’t want to attend.

I just went to the Goldsmith concert at UCLA last week, however, and had the totally opposite reaction… it was amazing to hear his music performed by the really talented kids who are part of the American Youth Symphony. It was a really unique experience to hear selections from scores like UNDER FIRE, POLTERGEIST, and TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE live and unencumbered by the limitations of the technology that was used to record them originally. That said, Goldsmith’s music works well in that kind of setting in ways that I don’t think much of Elfman’s music would.

Goldsmith’s music works well in that kind of setting in ways that I don’t think much of Elfman’s music would

It depends on the score. The more straight-forward ones will work just fine. Batman, Sommersby, and Black Beauty will sound great with a live orchestra. Beetlejuice, with a few adjustments, will work as well. The Simpsons too. As I said, it depends. Jerry Goldsmith composed plenty of live orchestra friendly music, but I doubt Gremlins was one of them. Or even Planet of the Apes.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Funny, GREMLINS was part of Goldsmith’s concert programme :)

bookbinder3
    Participant

Maybe Richard Kraft will cojole Danny into touring the Universe with a concert next. Maybe that’s his master plan.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.