Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion NEW Wanted Trailer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Spider-Fan
    Participant

Looks pretty amazing, can’t wait!

Lets just hope that Elfman doesn’t give us a Kingdom-esque score.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Looks awful to me. I haven’t seen an Elfman scored film since Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride and it’s certainly not this one that will change my mind…

Spider-Fan
    Participant

It would be great to hear a “Mission: Impossible”-like score for this film. Elfman scores outlandish action really well. But yes, a “Kingdom”-esque score would not be too fun for this.

Thor
    Participant

Well, I’m one of those who think THE KINGDOM is a superb score. In the top 10 Elfman list, for sure. But I agree, it would probably not be suitable for a film like this (which looked promising, although it will give the “hey, that’s impossible” crowd proper ammunition).

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I’m a firm believer that Elfman gave Kingdom the score it needed. Whether or not it has the same replay value as, say, Corpse Bride, is open for debate, but still, a job well done, nonetheless.

In the top 10 Elfman list, for sure.

What is your top 10 Elfman list, Thor?

Thor
    Participant

It’s always difficult to post your favourite list, Tender, because it changes all the time. Except for the first 3-4 on this list, all the others are in constant flux. Perhaps I could post a list like this today:

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    2. Edward Scissorhands
    3. Batman
    4. Beetlejuice
    5. Sommersby
    6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    7. Planet of the Apes
    8. Midnight Run
    9. Black Beauty
    10. The Kingdom

…but tomorrow, scores like Batman Returns, Wisdom, Midnight Run, Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure or Big Fish will enter the list somehow. :)

Yea, Spider-Fan. A ‘Mission: Impossible” type score could work. Although I was thinking that something like “Dead Presidents” could be a bit more effective.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Where’s Dolores?!?! That’s in the top three for me…!

TenderLumpling
    Participant

It’s funny, the parts I like best about The Kingdom, are the parts that remind me of Dead Presidents.

Danny Elfman composes great action music when it’s some sort of fantasy or sci-fi movie like Batman and Spider-Man. But he tends to struggle with more grounded movies. Dead Presidents was the exception.

Thor
    Participant

Ah yes…that’s a contender too. See how difficult it is to make these lists? :)

Natrebo
    Participant

I WOULD like to see him integrate guitars into the score for Wanted… just thinking of how he did that in the scores for To Die For and Freeway (also Dead Presidents) reminds me that he is one of the best at inserting the guitar into orchestra. Just thinking about these scores makes me want to listen to them right NOW!!!

These would be just examples of using an electric guitar, because right now I consider his wonderful use of acoustic guitars to me A Part of this orchestra palate (it’s now fully integrated into his sound).

TenderLumpling
    Participant

But he tends to struggle with more grounded movies.

Like what? A Simple Plan? Red Dragon? A Civil Action? Good Will Hunting? Sommersby?

That’s not what I said. I said when it comes to “action” scores (meaning scores to movies within the action genre) he tends to struggle a bit more when the movie is some-what grounded. When its a fantasy or sci-fi movie like Batman and Spider-Man he seems more inspired.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I said when it comes to “action” scores (meaning scores to movies within the action genre) he tends to struggle a bit more…

What movies would those be?

Proof of Life for example. I haven’t seen the movie IN YEARS but I recall the score was kinda lame. The Kingdom is also an action movie. And that score wasn’t so great either.

Thor
    Participant

Hmmm….of course, I consider THE KINGDOM among his top 10 (as I said earlier), but I also think PROOF OF LIFE is pretty good, at least in the film. It’s somewhat of a tough listen on CD, though. In fact, I can’t think of a genre where he “struggles”. It would have to be if he’s asked to be very “mainstream” or to copy a temp track. There’s also arguably a sameness to some of the more bombastic parts in his recent superhero scores.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

In fact, I can’t think of a genre where he “struggles”. It would have to be if he’s asked to be very “mainstream” or to copy a temp track.

Bingo.

Proof of Life for example. I haven’t seen the movie IN YEARS but I recall the score was kinda lame. The Kingdom is also an action movie. And that score wasn’t so great either.

I suppose Proof of Life and The Kingdom are the only Elfman scores that are realistic action movies (is Mission Impossible another?), and if that’s the case (do to the similarity of the two scores) it seems you just don’t like Elfman’s approach in which he scored them. But they’re both completely competent. There’s nothing in either of those scores that suggests Elfman had trouble adequately finding the tone or anything like that.

lonzoe
    Participant

I agree with those who enjoyed The Kingdom. I think that is a very underrated score and really worked in the film. There was no other way to score that film but that way. I wish I had the Proof of Life score. I’m still kicking myself for picking Lost in Space CD with the various artists accompanying Bruce Broughton’s score over Proof of Life. Especially since I heard the expanded score that Intrada produced was better. Now I think Proof of Life is out of print. I really enjoy Elfman’s work. I always welcome Elfman getting out of his comfort zone and pushing himself.

lonzoe
    Participant

I wasn’t impressed with the NEW ,as well as the OLD,Wanted Trailer. The movie took to many liberties from the comic for the wrong reasons. The only thing I’m interested in in Wanted is Elfman’s score. Before I found out about Elfman scoring this I didn’t give a you know what about it. Jolie needs to stick to her Humanitarian business. All the action hero roles she plays are no different than her last. IMO,of course.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.