Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion “New Wave” composers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Spider-Fan
    Participant

I came across this article on Yahoo news and it really worried me. It’s about the new breed of composers who are former (or current) artists in other genres. It briefly mentions Danny Elfman, but sadly it puts him on the same level as people like the RZA and BT. I think Danny chose to move into the field of film scoring because he knew it was something he had a skill and passion for. Seeing these new people emerging worries me because I fear that in coming years, the classic film score will be lost to these rap/rock/etc. “scores.” I say we keep film music in the scoring stage and out of the hands of the wrong people. The link to the article is below.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050122/music_nm/music_scores_dc_1

Anonymous
    Inactive

…but I can honestly say that I dig a very tiny bit of RZA’s work.

There’s a different paradigm that’s about to emerge, and we film score fans can either let it piss us off or accept the fact that things are changing.

There are extremely valid paralells between that and both a) directors that believe that digital video will destroy the film industry and b) non film score musicians that believe that non-linear hard disk editing will destroy records.

The bottom line is this: if you’re trying your best to make your particular version of art, the way its presented is not the important thing: the audience’s interpretation of it is. All you – or we – can do is to do the best that we can, just like every other thing in life. Things change, and one must adapt. Period.

Get it?

***edited , hoping for more precision***

boingomusic
    Participant

Well,
    I understand what you’re all worried about… But there’s still light at the end of the tunnel : Remember the early 80’s, when people like Harold Faltermeyer started compose synth scores like Beverly Hills Cop, or even Jerry Goldsmith began to use a lot of synth (Gremlins) (even if in that case, the result was quite intresting)… The orchestra finally won the race. I remember elfman talking about this on tv, in the 90’s, saying that “the orchestral scores are back, thanks to people like John Williams – god bless him”. It was the first and last time I heard Danny talk about Williams…

Anyway, Orchestral film scores will always rule. Why ? Simply because it never grows old. Listen to a pop or rock soundtrack, even if it’s for a 1995 movie : it sounds old. Listen to a 1993 movie like Jurassic Park, or a 1988 movie like Batman, and you’ll see that it seems quite fresh and new…
    I don’t know if I explain this right, but I hope you’ll understand what I m saying…

Eric

elfmanguy
    Participant

I think its ok as long as the scores these guys write sound like scores! I remember seeing that movie about the jesus markings staring Patricia Arquet( the name escapes me at the moment) and resident evil which were scored by Billy Corgan and i believe Marilyn Manson and both scores had all these guitars and shit and sounded like some shit they would play on stage with their bands and it was just so annoying! so if these guys get there shit together and write an actual SCORE they will be ok! But they will never touch randy Newman and will never, EVER get anywhere near Danny Elfman! Also i beleive Batman was released in 1989!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.