Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘Nightmare Revisited’ thoughts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I downloaded NIGHTMARE REVISITED after a friendly reminder (thanks, Winston) and loving it. Here’s some random thoughts — even without listening all the way through:

Devotchka’s “Overture” is great, and Manson’s “This Is Halloween” is appropriately in his style… All-American Reject’s “Jack’s Lament” is pretty weak. The song is about longing and the vocals here lack that quality…If you like Amiina’s “Doctor Finklestein/In The Forest”, you should check out their album “Kurr”. They are pretty amazing… Wow, “Town Meeting Song” is like totally different. And that’s cool. The Polyphonic Spree really took it seriously. The track runs an epic 8:55 long!

What surprises me here is the artistry. This isn’t some cheap cash-in album. There’s some real care taken here to interpret these songs.

Any thoughts? I’ll post more as I get through the album.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was disappointed by Polyphonic Spree. I also thought it was epic, but unnecessarily so. Part of the fun of “Town Meeting” is that is quick and there’s that back and forth between Jack and everyone, but PS just drug it out so it went on and on.

gordonblu
    Participant

I really like Rodrigo y Garbriela’s take on “Oogie Bogie’s Song’! I agree that All-American Rejects coverof “Jack’s Lament” was WEAK. I’m not a huge fan of Manson ( Charles or Marilyn) so I just don’t care for his rendition of “This is Halloween”. I liked Panic at the Disco’s version better from the last go `round. “To the Rescue” INDEED!!

gordonblu
    Participant

I find it sad that the most upbeat song on the album was made so downcast by Flyleaf.

gordonblu
    Participant

Thanks for deleting the duplicate posts!

lonzoe
    Participant

I really enjoyed Danny’s narration especially for Closing. Where he use his jack voice at the end . I laughed and had chills at the same time off of that. Elfman IS Jack Skellington. I agree with those who dislike the Town Meeting Song. It was drawn out. It almost hurt the album for me. It reminded of that children chant from The Lost Boys movie and the song at the end of Childs Play in some parts. That’s not a compliment. I liked the instrumental ones a lot. I smile when hear the themes and think to myself they really want to prove how much they were inspired by that score.

Anybody else laughed at the cue To the Rescue the part where Oogie Boogie turned some object around and saw a p–sed off Jack sitting on it. They kept playing that beat over and over. It made me laugh. Plus I like techno music. So that was interesting blending techno with a score like TNBC.

gordonblu
    Participant

I would just like to add that I really love Polyphnoic Spree’s rendition of “Town Meeting Song”. Is it a little too long? Yeah, But I found it to be very self-effacingly geeky, and I mean that in a good way. It sounds like they had a lot of fun at that recording session.

Ironically, the weakest tracks are Jack’s solos. Jack’s Obsession is slightly better JUST because it is SOOOO different, but the other two were really lacking in vocal performance. Jack’s Lament sounded like goth-Jonas Brothers and Poor Jack had the mis-fortune of “Poor” Elfman imitations throughout.
    I was really annoyed by Jack’s Obsession, but again it’s a curio because of the interpretation.

I think I’ve posted enough on this subject now, intentionally and otherwise.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.