Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Official Sweeney Todd Site…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Dawg Man
    Participant

http://www.sweeneytoddmovie.com/

Nothing up yet but at least we know where to go…

-Flynn

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Hmm, aside from the director association, this has nothing to do with Elfman.

I’ve said it before, why even make a Tim Burton movie without Danny Elfman music?

gaba
    Participant

As much as I adore Elfman, Stephen Sondheim is good enough for me, in this case. In other words: If it ain’t broke, why fix it? ;-)

Dawg Man
    Participant

TenderLumpling Wrote:

> Hmm, aside from the director association, this has
    > nothing to do with Elfman.
    >
    > I’ve said it before, why even make a Tim Burton
    > movie without Danny Elfman music?

Yes, I know, but I hope you don’t mind if I still post about it. Stephen Sondheim follows the same inspiration Elfman follows on this one (Herrmann and the Russians). We can’t just limit our scope to Elfman if we know the music is good (there’s so much music out there, that would be a pretty narrow scope). Elfman’s fine with Burton making a Sondheim musical. I am too.

Plus we still don’t know yet if supplementary score is needed.

gaba
    Participant

> Plus we still don’t know yet if
    > supplementary score is needed.

I think we should make a collective fan-effort to sneak in some additional footage into the movie they’ll have no score left for.

*insert a classic video-cam shot of one’s feet at a party*

;-)

RCox
    Participant

Furthermore, Ed Wood, arguably Tim Burton’s greatest film, lacked an Elfman score. It certainly didn’t hurt the movie.

RCox
    Participant

Filming is complete according to this link:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/108819.html

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Excellent point. “Ed Wood” is a fantastic movie with absolutely nothing about it that needs changing.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Well it’s not like I’m wishing Elfman would rescore the entire musical himself, I just wish Burton had chosen a movie that called for an original score by Danny Elfman.

RCox
    Participant

Directors have to pick projects for themselves. “Believe it or Not” will come along soon enough, and with it a fantastic Elfman adventure score.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Yes, it would appear that he’s done another “re-imagining” of another artist’s work. I am looking forward to Believe it or Not, though.

Dawg Man
    Participant

From what I’ve heard, Burton has been interested in doing Sweeney Todd ever since his days making Batman in London. You have a good point on it being kind of a downer that Elfman’s not involved (so far) but it’s best to look on the bright side of things. It’s a Tim Burton film and we know the music is good anyway.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I personally am supremely psyched about “Believe it or Not.” It seems like exactly the kind of movie from which I can get my fill of big-score Elfman (that, and now “Hellboy 2″… there’s a LOT of potential there).

strongballs
    Participant

Can’t wait for the content, download ect. hope they have html embed codes for promoting

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Good news! —

Source filmscoremonthly:

“Actually, what I’ve heard is that Elfman won’t have any role in Burton’s SWEENEY TODD, since it’s being adapted directly from the Sondheim musical. Have you folks heard something to the contrary?”

“Apparently Sondheim dropped out after a lot of disagreements with Tim Burton over the direction of things (namely Johnny Depp’s range) so now Elfman’s taking over the reigns. “

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.asp?threadID=41772&forumID=1&pageID=2

Edward Bloom
    Participant

Wasn’t that news an april fools ?

RCox
    Participant

I’m assuming that people are taking this from the fake story I wrote on this board (a friend of mine then posted it on IMDb). The article was also put up on the Tim Burton Collective a couple of months later. I accredited the article to Wicks Cherrycoke, the narrator of Thomas Pynchon’s Mason & Dixon. Also, it would not be good news if Sondheim was kicked off of Sweeney Todd no matter who replaced him.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.