Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Oogie Boogie’s Song Vs. Remains of the Day

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lonzoe
    Participant

Which is better and why ?
    I enjoy them both so It’s hard for me to decide maybe ROTD because Elfman sung it.

gaba
    Participant

My first instinct is to point towrads Oogie Boogie, because it’s such a classic, and I’ve been going “You’re joking. You’re JOKING!…” in that manner for years now… BUT! On the other hand, I do think Remains of the Day is more original – meaning that the Boogie song is so very, very closely inspired by Minnie the Moocher, even people who don’t obsess over such stuff have pointed it out to me. Plus, Remains has such a fab story packed right into it, groovy lyrics with a poignant message, and a killer instrumental break, so… yup, Remains wins. Bless Danny’s sore throat.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yep, Remains of the Day for me too. Oogie Boogie’s great but I always thought it was one of the weakest song in TNBC…which tells you how great these songs are !

elfmanguy
    Participant

I would give it to Oogie Boogie on this one. It had such brilliant vocals and some beautiful things were done with clarinet’s. I LOVE it when Danny uses clarinet’s. Even though I do love “Remains” and Elfman did suffer for it I still have to give it to the Boogie man.

guitarfreak
    Participant

This one is easy for me. I hate to say it, but I think ‘Remain’s of the Day’ is one of my least favorite out of all of Elfman’s pieces. ‘Oogie Boogie’s Song’, to me, is more catchier and has more of a groove to it. Whenever I hear even the beginning of ‘Remain’s of the Day’, I just have to turn it off, it annoys me.

strongballs
    Participant

It was great to see Elfman signing in both Bride and CCF as well as Nightmare.

I too love the line “You’re joking!YOU’RE JOKING,this can’r be the guy!”

I love both.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

“Remains of the Day” wins for me. “Oogie Boogie’s Song” was the only one from NBC that I disliked, and I was totally into “Remains of the Day” from the time I first heard it.

Thor
    Participant

Well, both are obviously great songs in the Cab Calloway-type jazz tradition Danny knows so well from his early Mystic Knights days, but I’d have to give the prize to Oogie Boogie. A couple of weeks ago, I got the song so stuck in my mind that I almost lost it. It’s extremely “hookable” and much of that is obviously due to Ken Page’s magnificent and dramatic vocals. Listen to Danny’s original demo tapes and you’ll notice how much difference Page makes!

TenderLumpling
    Participant

The actual music sounds more like Duke Ellington’s The Mooche than anything Cab Calloway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.