Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion original film scores

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    amandaweldon
    Participant

hi
    i’m doing a thesis in college on the music of Danny and cant find any original full orchestral scores for his films. just wondering if anyone could help me!!

thanks

Amanda

Javert
    Participant

It is rare that you can find orchestral scores of any. I know for a fact that there are some out there, it just takes a lot of effort and random places to find them. There’s a Hal Leonard maybe? publication of the Spiderman Main titles for orchestra. I know J.W. Pepper has it online. Serenada schizophrana is published but you would have to rent it for a performance. There might be a release of Edward Scissorhands… even still, all but serenada are merely arrangements. Good Luck!

Brandon

evil-dead
    Participant

a only know of arrangements, but Danny Elfman’s Batman : A Film Score Guide (Paperback)
    by Janet K. Halfyard has snippets of the batman score. Also On the Track by Fred Karlin and Rayburn Wright has a few sketch score cues from edward scissorhands and batman. I know that’s not what you’re looking for exactly, but it might help a little with the thesis.

evil-dead

Dawg Man
    Participant

There’s a guy out there named Bill Wrobel. He’s a film score analyst and has been going everywhere he can, from film Studios to UCLA’s private collections, in search for vintage or “filed away” filmscores. He does this individually and negotiates it through the studio.

So, it is possible to “see” the original orchestrations and scores. You have to be in California though. The thing is you aren’t allowed to photocopy any of it. You’d have to bring a sketchpad with you and take it all down as you see it, if you’re even granted permission. Under supervision, you might be though.

amandaweldon
    Participant

hi brandon
    thanks for the reply. i seem to be getting nowhere in my search for original scores! i shall keep trying however.. my thesis depends upon it!!

amanda

Norby
    Participant

Amanda,

Have you read Janet Halfyards book Danny Elfman’s batman? well, she has a photocopy of the entire score, which I think she will let you see if it is for purely academic reasons. I asked her if I could see it for teaching purposes as I teach a module at University in Ireland on Danny’s music, to which she agreed, but I ended up not getting to see it, a mixture of my own laziness and clerical issues within my university. You may have to visit birmingham conservetoire of music, or, if your university is willing, you may be able to get it via inter-library loan. At any rate, contact Janet… Just google her name and you’ll get her e-mail. I found her very helpful and she my at least be able to point you in the right direction of where to acquire Elfman scores… Bare in mind however I think she said it cost her around $2000 for a photocopy of the score, so if you’re looking multiple scores, you won’t get your hands on it without serious expense! Hope this is helpful,

Best wishes,

Christopher

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.