Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Ottman Feud Answers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Spider-Fan
    Participant

It’s a common belief that John Ottman and Danny Elfman are enemies. I’ve found an interview with Ottman that settles the debate. It turns out that not only are they not enemies, but Ottman considers Danny to be one of his influences! Ottman is very easily contactable and is very generous in his responses (I’ve e-mailed him before and he’s great about getting back with a hearty answer). Check out the excerpt below, or the full interview at http://www.superman-v.com/column.php?id=13

S-V: Who are your main influences as a composer and editor?

JO: I ended up falling into my own style, which most of us do. But Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams’ sensibilities will always linger in me. Like many composers of my generation, STAR WARS woke me up to the sheer excitement of orchestral film music. I then discovered Goldsmith, who became my idol. I drove my parents nuts playing my soundtracks over and over – I think they still know the Klingon Battle from STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE by heart! Brilliant. SUPERMAN was another record I played to death, along with EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. I also liked the scores from many other guys, including the new guys at the time, Horner and Elfman.

Also, so not to waste space with another topic, I have a request for whoever might fulfill it. I’m kinda obsessed with the score from the Lego “Spider-Man” short by Jason Graves (who came by these boards last summer). Can anyone convert the music from the movie file into an mp3 or wav file? I would be very happy! After all, I did provide this juicy Ottman info…please someone?
    Here’s the link… http://spiteyourface.com/spidey.html

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

It was already clearly established that there was no Ottman/Elfman feud.

But thanks for the link anyways.

Ryan

Danny Burton
    Participant

I hated his Cellular score. It was as bad as the movie itself. There were moments during the film that I was rolling my eyes harder for what I was hearing than for the ludricuous stuff that was happening on the screen.

With that said, I think his X2 and The Usual Suspects scores are brilliant.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

With that said, I think his X2 and The Usual Suspects scores are brilliant.

X-Men 2, for me, is just a passable super-hero score; Elfman spoils us. The Usual Suspects, however, is a lovely score. That’s the only Ottman score that really stands out for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.