Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Ottman the new superhero composer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Spider-Fan
    Participant

John Ottman has already scored X2, and coming soon from him are scores for The Fantastic Four and Superman. Danny Elfman has always been known as the superhero/comic book movie composer ever since Batman, since he’s to date done that, Hulk, Spider-Man, Dick Tracy…but Ottman is quickly catching up. Don’t get me wrong, I think Ottman is a great composer, proving himself as the next possible Goldsmith with his brilliant X2 score. I have high hopes for him and his future projects, but am I the only one?

D-Bo
    Participant

Hmm…interesting. I rather liked Ottman’s music for X2, and to hear more super-hero scores from him may not be a bad thing at all.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

“…I think Ottman is a great composer, proving himself as the next possible Goldsmith with his brilliant X2 score.”

Goldsmith, as in… JERRY Goldsmith? Heavens. Has Ottman been secretly composing Jerry Goldsmith-caliber scores? At any event, Ottman will really have to progress to be on par with The Shadow.

SleepyHello
    Participant

Well, it helps that Bryan Singer is directing Superman, which also probably means Ottman will be editing it, too.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

“Well, it helps that Bryan Singer is directing Superman…”

The Shadow score, I mean… Goldsmith scored it.

SleepyHello
    Participant

I wasn’t responding to you.

BATMAN
    Participant

what’s the deal with Ottman being an editor too??? It’s strange to me…plus coordinating it during post production must be tough, so who wants to do it? Unless he writes the bulk of his score during production. anyone?

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Yeah, he does editing too, but he’s nt the only one to pull it off. Robert Rodriguez does nearly everything on his films. Ottman actually scored and directed “Urban Legends: Final Cut.” He’s a talented guy.

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

That movie was so lame.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Yeah, I forgot to mention that when directors take on so many tasks, the movies often come out crappy. Look at Spy Kids 2 and 3 for example. I won’t dish on the first Spy Kids because it wasn’t too horrible and Danny Elfman scored some nice cues and wrote a fun song.

Anonymous

I agree with the Floops Theme comment. Elfman made the words “Nasty nasty nasty nasty” a lot of fun. (remember to stick out your arms and legs to shake along with the words). I also like “like a bird in a big TV.”

I like what ottman has brought to the table as an editor and also filmcomposer. The Usual Suspects is a great example of his work. I also enjoyed how Apt Pupil was cut and scored.

AshRyan
    Participant

Am I the only one who hated Ottman’s score for X2? I don’t know how well it stood on its own, but in the movie I thought it was awful. It was especially disappointing after Michael Kamen’s great score for X-Men. I thought Ottman’s score was the only aspect of the second film in which it didn’t live up to its predecessor.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.