Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Planet of the Apes: Rise of the Apes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Release Date: June 24, 2011. Yes, that soon. That’s FOX for ya’ll. It’s highly doubtful that they’ll use Danny Elfman’s score…but they could surprise us.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

For some reason, I really really doubt it.

Yeah, they’ll probably go for the original Jerry Goldsmith score.

Natrebo
    Participant

If history repeats itself then Elfman will return to score the third film using a jazzy funk sound.

If history repeats itself then Elfman will return to score the third film using a jazzy funk sound.

What?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Yeah, they’ll probably go for the original Jerry Goldsmith score.

Man, I don’t think any director today would buy into that Goldsmith score. It’s way too progressive. How ironic…

Man, I don’t think any director today would buy into that Goldsmith score. It’s way too progressive. How ironic.

So, I guess we’re stuck with another Hans Zimmer score.

Natrebo
    Participant

Like Goldsmith returned to score the original third Apes film, “Escape from the Planet of the Apes” which took place in a then modern day 1970s… hence the jazzy funk score he composed.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

??? Why would they reuse Danny’s music? A composer will be hired to score this just like any other movie…

Why would they reuse Danny’s music?

It’s a prequel…I think.

moongirl84
    Participant

You think they’ll concider getting Tim Burton to direct this one?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

It is not a prequel to Tim Burton’s vision of APES. It is a clean slate.

You think they’ll concider getting Tim Burton to direct this one?

Rupert Wyatt is directing.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

And yet another project that showcases Hollywood’s desire to be safe and go with established franchises. Didn’t “Avatar” teach them anything? Original movies CAN make money!

elfboy91
    Participant

I would hardly call Pocahontas with blue people(and a worse score than Alan Menken’s) ORIGINAL!

Thor
    Participant

elfboy91 Wrote:

> I would hardly call Pocahontas with blue
    > people(and a worse score than Alan Menken’s)
    > ORIGINAL!
    >
    >
    > …
    >
    > CAK-ELFBOY-91

Sigh….not that ol’ criticism again. AVATAR was never about an original story, it was only about a new way to EXPERIENCE cinema. In that way, it was not only original, but revolutionary. Oh, and Horner’s score rocks!

elfboy91
    Participant

Horner’s score was good. Nothing special but still enjoyable. I would take Menken’s score to Pocahontas over it anyday! Especially that finale! Awesome ending!

Thor
    Participant

Menken’s POCHAHONTAS is pretty good too, but it’s apples and oranges, really.

elfboy91
    Participant

See, that’s my basic opinion on Avatar! I like it but it doesn’t do much for me. It’s just my opinion though.. I’m not gonna critique Horner’s music.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’ll never hear Horner’s AVATAR the same after hearing Karl Kenkins’s “Adiemus”. It’s obvious where Horner not only a) stole the theme for MIGHTY JOE YOUNG from, but also b) the vocal stylings for AVATAR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrhgk8Fa_QE&a=sfd6Jnq-vWk&playnext_from=ML
    (live version, to not break the rules of this board! But YouTube has the original recording there too)

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Wow, I remember “Adiemus” from the “Pure Moods” album that was constantly advertised the 90s… yes, I had it too. That one was always one of my favorite tracks.

But I don’t really hear how Horner stole anything from it. For one, the theme from “Mighty Joe Young” doesn’t sound very much like “Adiemus”. If anything, it has some similar orchestration. And the vocal styling predates “Adiemus”, like with Lebo M’s arrangements on Hans Zimmer’s 1994 “The Lion King” score. “Avatar” certainly delves into a lot of James Horner territory (the main theme sounds so very close to “Titanic”, he utilizes his four-note “danger motif”, the final battle sounds fairly close to “Glory”, etc.) but to me it has a great deal of originality and is still an enjoyable listen.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.