Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Planet of the Apes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Danny Burton
    Participant

I’ve always loved this score and consider it among one of my very Elfman favorites, but after listening to it non stop for the past 2 weeks I’ve come to the conclusion that this is not only great, but one of Elfman’s absolute masterpieces.

The amount of stuff he was able to cram into this score never ceases to amaze me. The heart pumping bombast, the innovative use of every percussion sound imaginable to man, and [my personal favorite] the calm, tender moments.

For an example of those gorgeous tender moments go straight to track 13, “The Return” and go to 1:20. That moment there absolutely FLOORS me with it’s simplicity and beauty, which gets even better at 1:40.

Use this thread to praise this stunning piece of work, but before that let me put on my flame suit to say this: Elfman’s POTA is better than Jerry Goldsmith’s ;)

Alethea
    Participant

Oh yeah i remember that one. But the fourth one is the coolest. “The Hunt” is the one i think it’s called. It startes out calm and then by the time it hits the part at the biggining when the music gets faster and louder, you want to jump out of your seat! That sound track is actually the one when i realized who Danny Elfman was. But i totaly agree with you 13 was pretty cool.

Thor
    Participant

I agree with you. This is score is severely underrated and truly one of Elfman’s best in his post-M:I style, much better than what the….uhm, mediocre (to put it diplomatically) film deserved. I wouldn’t say that it was better than Goldsmith’s original, which was far more cutting-edge at the time, but it’s “slicker” and more bombastic in a good way.

TJ

SleepyHello
    Participant

I remember when I bought the score back in high school. I would listen to it CONSTANTLY. My girlfriend at the time was also trying out to be the drum major for the marching band for the next year (yeah I was a band nerd, but I’m sure that’s not something to be ashamed of on these boards). So for the conducting part of the audition, you have to pick a song that demonstrates your skill at (you guessed it) conducting, and the more time signature and dynamics changes the better, assuming you can conduct it correctly. Well, I suggested something from Planet of the Apes, and of course, I suggested The Hunt.

Needless to say, she got it.

Thor
    Participant

SleepyHello Wrote:

> Needless to say, she got it.

She got what? ;)

SleepyHello
    Participant

Oh yeah, forgot that part….. She used The Hunt, and she got Drum Major. yay for Danny Elfman!

BATMAN
    Participant

I woudn’t say Elfman’s POTA was BETTER than Goldsmith’s. I think the ket with both of them is their originality. Goldsmith’s is so far out and cool…c’mon…getting the orchestra to make ape sounds is pretty novel.
    I applaud Danny for trying to do something new. All the electronics and bombast. really top notch.!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.