Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘Pushing Daisies’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Anyone interested in some unique TV check out ABC’s PUSHING DAISIES tonight on ABC. The show premiered last night in Canada but airs for the first time in the U.S. tonight. The score is an effervescent Elfman homage by Jim Dooley. Refreshing for TV music which this season has sounded pretty bland (BIONIC WOMAN, HEROES, LIFE). It’s all synth, but the samples are pretty good. And there’s nary a Tom Newman marimba to be found.

Sure enough, I found this article from the Gannett News Service:

“…That’s the goal, which Fuller calls “a little bit more “Beetle Juice’ than “CSI.’ “

Indeed, “Daisies” looks like it could have come from “Beetle Juice” director Tim Burton. It’s music (by James Dooley) sounds like it’s from Burton’s composer, Danny Elfman.

“We were definitely inspired by Danny Elfman and that kind of whimsical quality that he has,” Fuller says.”

Ryan

Phienyx
    Participant

The first strains of the score for this show had me searching the web in an effort to find out who the composer was……because as mentioned above, it is very Elfmanesque.

Great stuff….

Natrebo
    Participant

If anyone is looking for a show that had great music on it’s season premiere then look no further than Smallville – great stuff there!

And I would also like to defend the scores for Heroes… sure, it’s not a great thematic tour-de-force, but since the beginning the composers involved didn’t take the music lightly and it has developed – slowly, like the show itself. Don’t believe me then compare the beginning of last season with the beginning of this season. Like the story lines themselves, the music seems to have a plan to them.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I love Heroes, but the music still pisses me off. It’s way too generic, in that they pull out typical instruments for each of the characters’ cultures and do nothing new with them. Plus. for really epic scenes towards the end of last season, nothing really stood out like it should have, I’m not a fan of Wendy and Lisa one bit.

elfmanguy
    Participant

That was the first thing I did as well was do a search for the composer of the score. I loved this show and it’s music.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Not a fan of the SMALLVILLE scores (though I don’t watch the show). El Cheapo synth! Haha

Ryan

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

http://www.jimdooley.com has clips from his score for the show.

Ryan

Natrebo
    Participant

As a composer that has to work under circumstances that don’t allow for a lot of money thrown towards the score, I really respect those that can use synths to the fullest – if it calls to replicate an orchestra or if it’s used to enhance one (that Elfman does better than most). Television scores are usually compromised in the score department because of the budget, but that doesn’t mean they’ll be devoid in melodic, harmonic, or emotional content.

Heroes music is perfect for the series.

Smallville is over the top drama and the scores are pitch perfect (even if the series is uneven)

Actually one of my favorite recent shows carries a very eeh kind of score, but then I grew up loving Post’s macho action music for The A-Team!

“It takes less time to tear something down than it does to build it.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.