Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Richard S. Ginell: Douchebag!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Anyone notice reviews by “Richard S. Ginell” popping up on retailer sites like Barnes & Noble and iTunes? He’s defacated on everything Danny Elfman has ever done. My question is, who keeps letting this simpering scab review Elfman titles when his axe blade has been ground to the stick?

Excerpts of Richard S. Ginell on…

“Serenada Schizophrana”:
    “The musical substance of the sole vocal movement (in Spanish for reasons unexplained), “I Forget,” is hand-me-down Carl Orff – a common source for film music since the 1990s. As usual, Elfman does not orchestrate anything himself – co-producer Steve Bartek did four of the movements and Edgardo Simone one more, plus the tag (there is no credit for the brief fourth movement, “The Quadruped Patrol”). Recorded on a film studio sound stage, the sound is typically claustrophobic, flat and detailed – and the surround channels don’t let any air in. The bonus track, “Improv For Alto Sax,” is in the same general idiom as the Serenada, and is no bonus.”

“Scary Music” (Erich Kunzel compilation)
    “Well, the selection doesn’t start out well, with more banal film boredom from Danny Elfman (Sleepy Hollow, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice).”

“Bond and Beyond” (another Kunzel comp)
    “Danny Elfman’s Dick Tracy and Darkman music is, as usual, routine stuff from an overrated Hollywood routinier.”

“Fantastic Journey” (yet another Kunzel comp!)
    “There is too much space accorded to Danny Elfman’s mediocre music for Batman — a 15-minute concert suite, no less”

The sad thing is Ginell has been syndicated by the All Music Guide and his ditherings are littered all over the ‘net. Again, what a douchebag!

Ryan

TenderLumpling
    Participant

“Danny Elfman’s Dick Tracy and Darkman music is, as usual, routine stuff from an overrated Hollywood routinier.”

Wow, saying that something is overrated is certainly well grounded music criticism.

Yeesh, I can’t imagine being so bitter.

Lucius
    Participant

I got me some torches and pitchforks…I say we go after this monster douchebag! What say you? To the windmill!!!!

Lucius

elfmanguy
    Participant

TO THE WINDMILL!!!! Geezus what a prick! Did Elfman bully this guy as a kid or something? He writes like a man scorned!

nemesis1701
    Participant

Richard S. Ginell must be employeed by John Williams.

gaba
    Participant

I wouldn’t worry too much. I mean… somebody who is THIS obsessive about tearing down everything Elfman ever wrote, so evidently does not have a single pinch of objectivity, it renders any review useless and laughable.

Besides…

“ZOMG!!!111EFLMAN DOESN”T ORCHAST8 HIZ OWN WORK!!!!111!”
    shut up. this is so old.

KWashi
    Participant

Haha…that thing about bullying and John Williams….I was thinking those same thoughts before they were posted.
    I have heard that John Williams doesn’t do his orchestrations……and then doesn’t give credit to his orchestrator…

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Let’s keep it on topic, please. This has nothing to do with John Williams.

Ryan

evil-dead
    Participant

This guy sounds like he made his mind up about Elfman a long time ago. He conveys the same attitude as the “snooty” jealous academic type (not to be confused with the inspiring and interesting academic type – I’ve dealt with both) who think that just because someone didn’t attend Julliard or go to Tanglewood that their musical relevance is niente. I had a composition professor in college – a well respected composer (who got John Williams to play piano on one of his records, and Vincent Price to narrarate his oratorio back in the day – lucky bastad!) whom I considered a great teacher and a fantastic composer. One day I asked him what he thought of Danny Elfman. While he said he couldn’t comment much on Elfman’s music because he hadn’t devoted enough listening to form a valid opinion (I can respect that, he’s not a big film music guy and he didn’t dismiss him right off) he did rehash some of the academic “rumors” about Elfman that I had to squash right there. He’s a hummer. He can’t read. He can’t orchestrate. Blah Blah Blah… This is the kind of crap that circulates in academia. While I think some genuinely aren’t into Elfman’s style, others are just jealous of his success (as a guy with no schooling). It’s like they’re thinking, “I studied with _____________ and ______________ at _______________ and received the ________________ prize for composition, and this guy makes more money than me, had a kick ass band, and has a hot wife”. Oh well. Some people probably just need to pull that stick out of their arse, have a beer and listen to some Zappa. Ok I’m done ranting now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.