Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘Ripley’ off, ‘Sweeney’ on

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Check it out. Paramount has switched Tim Burton from RIPLEY’S BELIEVE IT OR NOT to SWEENEY TODD: http://www.slate.com/id/2143613/

Ryan

SleepyHello
    Participant

I think this is a good thing. Is this a good thing?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Whatever movie supplies us with better music, is okay with me.

Dalboz
    Participant

I’m insanely curious to see what Burton and Depp could do with ‘Sweeney’, but there’s no denying that ‘Ripley would give us a better chance for an amazing score. I expect Elfman’s ORIGINAL contributions to ‘Sweeny’ will ammount to about the same extent as his work on ‘Chicago’ — some transitional music between scenes and during montages.
    But I’d love to be proven wrong … especially since I’m ASSUMING Burton’s version of ‘Sweeney’ is still a musical … right?

Monsterhead
    Participant

Ahhh sh*t. This will suck is Burton sticks to the Sondheim musical. I’d love to see Burton to a version of the Demon Barber, but not as a musical. PLEASE GOD, I hope this story changes for the better.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

There’s no mention that SWEENEY will remain a musical. John Logan (GLADIATOR, THE AVIATOR) is adapting it for the screen.

More from Reuters today…

Ryan

Lucius
    Participant

Grrrrr…I’m actually quite upset. I was sooo looking forward to ‘Ripley’, but if it’s not a musical and the script is done right, ‘Sweeney’ may have potential. I just have a fear that ‘Ripley’ will fall off the face of the planet. Here’s hoping I’m wrong.

Lucius

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I too was looking forward to “Ripley” way more than “Sweeny” because the musical potential for the former seems much more interesting than for the latter. It’s good to know that “Ripley” is still on, but I was hoping it would be for a sooner release.

Monsterhead
    Participant

I’m breathing a bit easier now. There is a movie from 1936 about Sweeney Todd – Victorain London, Horror – sound like great Burton manterial to me…

I hope they stick with that route. Sounds better than RIPLEY, if I might add.

gaba
    Participant

I want them both, how’s that for a decisive attitude? ;-)
    Anyway, I never thought Sweeney Todd would be the musical adaptation, at least I hope it won’t. (not that I dislike musicals)

But I agree that perhaps with “Ripley” it’s a tiny little bit less predictable what sort of ‘tools’ Danny would use (Although you never know, the score for Todd might as well be a wonderful surprise). I hope it didn’t bite the dust permamently.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.