Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Rumbaphones – the unsolved mystery

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Leccathu
    Participant

I’ve heard rumours about these all over the place ever since I was first in love with Oingo Boingo, but I haven’t been able to find any real evidence that they really exist. What are these blessed ‘rumbaphones’ that Elfman and/or the band supposedly invented, and which songs can I hear them being played? Also, if there is any visual proof of these serendipitous phenomenon? *chuckles* ^w^

Sorry if some people don’t understand what I’m talking about. If you want me to make more sense, just ask. I’m hoping that these things are real… ^^ And I’m thinking that I’ve heard them in Grey Matter.

Cheers.

Leccathu
    Participant

I apologize about the horrible grammar in the previous post. I think I was just too excited about the actual topic at hand to read it over. >_o Sorry. *grins apologetically* Again, if people want me to make better sense of what I said, please ask. :P

mootum
    Participant

I understand what you are asking, but I have never heard of these instruments! Where did this rumor come from? What do the instruments supposedly sound like, and where do you think you hear them in Gray Matter?

SB.com
    Participant

They’re real, and there are two of them. They were made by Leon Schneiderman and Elfman (primarily Schneiderman). They are basically a variation on the marimba/balafon. If I’m not mistaken, they first appear on the “Nothing to Fear” album.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

You can also see the Rumbaphones being played up close during Gray Matter, in the Oingo Boingo Farewell video.

Leccathu
    Participant

Nice! They ARE real, then.. XD *dances* I’m so happy now! :D:D:D Now, the question is, will Elfman ever consider using them in one of his scores (who knows, he may have added them into his Charlie and The Chocolate Factory score… XD *grins mischeviously and chuckles*)…. but, I digress.

Thanks so much for helping answer my question, everybody!! :D

b-radg916
    Participant

I didn’t know they invented them, but it is truly fascinating to watch them being played for Grey Matter! I saw them at San Diego State in the mid-90s and Danny and John Avila played a pair of them that were shaped like very large heads. It always blows my mind watching them playing those things perfectly and together and that was the only time I ever saw them playing that set of them.

Thor
    Participant

What are the instruments they play in that clip from the early Mystic Knights days, sitting down with masks and playing what looks like marimbas or xylophones? Are they just that or this “invention”?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.