Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion SERENADA REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BATMAN
    Participant

Oh man, Fantastic!
    So I work all of about 20 feet from Carnegie Hall, but still, befre big concerts I get nervous I’m not going to make it in time. So I arrive at the Hall at 7 for and 8 o’clock concert with my gorgeous girlfriend in tow (she owned Beeltejuice on cassette before I discovered Elfman so she’s cool).
    Anyhow, I used to have an internship with a prominent symphonic organization so I was told that there were good possibilities of going to an after-concert reception. I was just bubbling with excitiment, it was pathetic.
    Anyhow, the American Composers Orchestra doesn’t usually sell out, so the top two balconies weren’t even open! (think of all the poor elfmanians deprived this great experience!).
    Upon gazing at the program the first thing I was thinking was am I going to see Steve Bartek’s name in the program…and sure enough, he and Edgardo Simone did the orchestrations, so the compositional mystery remains for me. I mean, in the concert music tradtition a composer does his own, but hey, who cares. I was more than thrill to see the piece billed as 37 minutes and not the 30 minutes they advertised. In the end, it was over 40 minutes long, and every second was like the most intense quality soundtrack Danny has ever produced. There were six sections…the first two were moody with Delores Claiborne type feel, all using the same few keys and wacky orchestration, but in a very mature Danny orchestration. from the starting notes of “two pianos”, it was exciting and intense. I don’t have the program in front of me, but each section had its own character and development. The third movement was called something like Rags and blues, but there wasn’t much rags or blues in it. It had some distinct rythms, and the themes were beautiful. In the fifth movement, the female chorus became involved in chanting spanish text. It was very dense and did work as a climax to the greater arch of the piece. And the last movement carried over this energy instead of fading it out. It sounded like his film music but of the highest level. He really outdid himself.
    After having been a fan all these years, and oweing so much of my musica tastes (and career decisions) to the role music plays in my life, I never thought I would get to hear his music live in concert, and much less ever SEE him. But there he was at the end, getting a standing ovation and cheers. He looked very moved by the whole thing.
    Anyhow, I met up with my contact, and she informed me that she never heard back about being invited to the reception, but at that point, with the music still lingering in my ears, I couldn’t have cared less. So we talked and hung out in the hall till they kicked us out. So we walked down the staris and out onto the sidewalk, and guess who was standing right there! He was with all his people hugging and smiling. I think this was a big deal for him. So I walked up to him and asked if he minded taking a picture, he obliged, and signed my copy of the Nightmare before Christmas. It was SWEET.
    Best of all, one of my bootlegs stoppped running after the fifth movement! That’s why I’m glad I was running a second!!! And it sounds great.
    I have a ouple copies of the programs from the concert if anyone would like to get one, I can send you one if you send em an envelope with postage on it.

What a night!

D-Bo
    Participant

*sigh*
    ….
    *sigh* It sounds so incredible, I wanted to be there so badly. There’s gotta be an official recording coming out, there just has to. There’s no way I can stand not hearing this.

Batman, any chance of sending me a copy of that bootleg? ;)

In the meantime, how about small clips of some great moments?

Katie
    Participant

Well, what about the bootlegs? Don’t you want to share those?

:-)

Spider-Fan
    Participant

You’re too lucky. You went to the concert and met him and got a picture and got his autograph! The least his loyal but less fortunate followers can get is an album, right?

BATMAN
    Participant

hmm, I didn’t se this coming! ha! Interesting….well, me being the technical ignoramus that I am, i recorded it with a mini-disc, and seperately with a cassette player. On top of getting cutting off after the 5th movment, the cassette sound quality isn’t so good.
    However, the mini-disc quality is great, although I haven’t listen to it all the way through. I will try to figure out how to make a mini-disc a CD, and let you guys know.

last night ruled.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

There are programs to transfer minidisc tracks to your computer. I would be glad to host them for everyone to download. If you’re interested or have questions, mail me.
    Alright, it ain’t very legal but we all know we’ll run in stores when an official recording will be released.

graywolf
    Participant

I was there to the Elfman piece was great I rellay Enjoyed it

http://www.wolf-howl.com/2005/02/danny-elfman-serenada-schizophrana.html

SB.com
    Participant

BATMAN, how does one contact you about the Concert Program?

BATMAN
    Participant

I’ve got 4 extra programs I think…just send enough postage to send a Playbill program, don’t send the envelope to, Richard Guerin 72 Nelson Street #1R, Brooklyn NY 11231. What’s your name? I will only send a program to the first 3 people.

SB.com
    Participant

Do you mind sending me an email if you get a moment? I’d greatly appreciate it. Cheers! (webmaster at stevebartek . com).

Apologies for taking the thread a bit off track…

admin
    Participant

BATMAN Wrote:

> hmm, I didn’t se this coming! ha!
    > Interesting….well, me being the technical
    > ignoramus that I am, i recorded it with a
    > mini-disc, and seperately with a cassette player.
    > On top of getting cutting off after the 5th
    > movment, the cassette sound quality isn’t so
    > good.
    > However, the mini-disc quality is great, although
    > I haven’t listen to it all the way through. I will
    > try to figure out how to make a mini-disc a CD,
    > and let you guys know.
    >
    > last night ruled.
    >

Hello!
    Sorry for my english..

If you need help to create a cd from your minidisc, you can send me an email, and I ‘ll help you.

It’s very simple.. connect your minidsc player from the headphone out, to line-in of your pc, through mini-jacke cable.

there are a lot of freeware program to record music on pc. for example : total recorder.. You have just to choose , in the control panel (advanced option in audio settigs) , line-in .

If you don’t have line-in, but you have only mic-in, it’s. just don’t choose Boost +20Db…

We wait for the official release of the concert, but you could help us to understand what was this great event, just sharing a compressed version of this music..

bye!!

yurisius@hotmail.com

9fingeredElf
    Participant

Any luck yet transferring the recording to mp3’s yet? If so I would love to here it.

Steve

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.