Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion shame on me

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Spider-Fan
    Participant

I’ve become a member of my school’s Cinematic Study club and I’m shamed to say that yesterday I saw my first Hitchcock film: North by Northwest. Yeah, I’m a movie addict, but I just dont see too many classic films. It was here that I really began listening to Herrmann’s music. Sure, I’ve heard the Psycho theme. I saw Taxi Driver but was unaware that he scored it. Now I see where all these Herrmann references come from. I really loved the score for North by Northwest. I understand now why Danny Elfman idolizes him so much, and where he gets his major influence. I apolgize for being so ignorant as to not research Harrmann’s music.

Anonymous

North by Northwest is an awesome film, and a great classic score. You should check out Vertigo, Fahrenheit 451, and Obsession next.

In a related note, also check out Nino Rota’s music to hear more of Elfman’s beginnings (“Godfather” I and II and “Casanova” to start with…any Elfman fan will appreciate those). Go to camoriginalsoundtracks.com for clips from Casanova. Amazon.com has clips from the Godfather CDs (or rent the Godfather movies, especially good since you’re just getting introduced to classic films, and the music is wonderful).

Dylan

Nat
    Participant

“North by Northwest” is my favorite Hitchock film, followed by the very underated and funny (dark) “The Trouble with Harry”!

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I apolgize for being so ignorant as to not research Harrmann’s music.

Heavens, you should be. If you see any Herrmann on-shelf, and I do mean any Bernard Herrmann, do not hesitate to buy.

Though be warned:

Once you start collecting Herrmann scores, you won’t stop.

I’ve come dangerously close to buying more copies of Jason and the Argonauts and The Egyptian, just incase they break down. Sad really…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.