Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion SMILEX!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    elfmanguy
    Participant

Im sure many of you have noticed this but i didnt see a post on it so ill just leave one myself! Saw Charlie for the second time! Noticed that the tooth paste Charlie’s father is working on is called SMILEX! The stuff the Joker used to kill people in BATMAN! That was a pleasant suprise! Its like Burtons present to his fans! Like “Here ya guys go! Sorry for Planet of the Apes!”. Also i didnt get the Ed Wood reference till this time around! Enjoyed that too! If you dont know what that part is its when the Oompa Loompas are shaving the PINK sheeps for cotton candy! But im sure most of you knew all this! Im just slow!

Kipobe
    Participant

Yeah, I noticed those…. actually, there’s several more, some are speculations.

Off-hand, this is what I can remember.

Edward Scissorhands reference when Wonka is cutting the ribbon to the factory. You only see his scissors coming from under his coat.
    One of the trick or treaters was wearing a Batman constume, not unlike Keaton’s in 1989.

…man, I’m drawing a blank. There’s quite a few, I’m just having trouble recalling them right now. There’s even a few non-Burton movies that have references too… if I remember, I’ll post them up.

Also, did anyone see the “Dahliasis” magazine in the back when Charlie scores the winning ticket? Obviously a reference to Dahl.

Someone also said they saw Kerry on the $10 bill Charlie found…. have to check for myself.

Augustus Gloop banging on the little window as the chocolate comes in and waves him away is a possible Buried Alive reference.

There were several “cannibalism” references that point to the Hannibal Lector series (even young Wonka’s braces look familiar). Wouldn’t be suprising, seeing as Burton is a fan, and Elfman scored Red Dragon.

…and many more.

ooshmaster
    Participant

Like “Here ya guys go! Sorry for Planet of the Apes!”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

feldsphar
    Participant

did anyone notice that in edward scissorhands johnny depp was a robot making food with other robots in a factory, and in charlie he had robots do all his work in his factory. Im pretty sure all of you knew that, but if not here it is.

mootum
    Participant

After Mike Teavee has been shrunk, I remember thinking that his voice reminded me of the fly in Beetlejuice… but I can’t recall: does Mike actually say “Help me!” at one point?

Also: if we’re looking for references to other Elfman (not necessarily Burton) movies, remember that one of the programs being shown during the Mike Teavee song is “Psycho.”

skotzmun
    Participant

… and is there not also a nod to Scissorhands when he opens the factory in Grampa Joe’s flashback… the sillouette cracked me up

PHIL
    Participant

Yep! Charlie’s father worked in the Smilex factory. I cracked up when I saw it. No one else in the theatre got it. You could pick out the Elfman/Burton fans in the theatre by the laughometer.

I love the various progressions during the ticket montage (traveling to various countries) –musically and visually a wonderful and hilarious sequence!

“Interpretive Stereotyping”–Burton is wonderful at doing this subtley and in your face at the same time.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.