Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Sounds like…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

… PLANET OF THE APES. That’d be Jamie Christopherson’s score for the vidgame LOST PLANET.

http://elfman.filmmusic.com/media/soundslike/LP_Akrid_Fight.mp3

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Ha, I was waiting and waiting to hear the blasting horns kick in, a la “The Hunt.”

Knight
    Participant

Meh, doesn’t really sound like POTA to me (maybe I need to listen to that score more). POTA made me want to get up and hit something, this one just sounded like a bunch of percussion being hammered over and over and over…

Did use some articulations and effects that Elfman used throughout POTA though.

Knight (Why the hell does everyone use convolution reverb nowdays? It sounds like crap)

Danny Burton
    Participant

Man, if there’s ever a list of scores to drive a car to, POTA should be at the very top of the list. I mean, try it right now.

D-Bo
    Participant

Whoever did the music for the ‘Red Steel’ game for the Wii used that very distinctive “wooden” percussion sound from PotA, the one that’s usually used in that ascending three-note motif.

Knight
    Participant

You mean the strings playing Col Legno? Can’t really say that anyone rips off anyone for using that technique, as it’s been in use for well over a hundred years. You just don’t hear it very often (mainly because string players complain because it can mess up the finish of their bows).

D-Bo
    Participant

No, that’s not what I meant. If you have the Planet of the Apes soundtrack album, a good example of what I’m talking about would be about 0:48 into Ape Suite #1. I don’t think that’s col legno strings.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

That’s col legno with some other percussion. Like Knight said, it’s a pretty common technique nowadays.

D-Bo
    Participant

Are you serious? I know col legno is used a lot; I do listen to lots of film scores, but except for this one game that I was talking about, I’d never heard this particular sound that seemed fairly distinctive and unique to PotA used anywhere else. Anyone know what other sounds are used in conjunction with col legno to get that effect?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I always thought that was a sample too, D-Bo. What do we know?

Ryan

Edward Bloom
    Participant

I think that Marco Beltrami uses col legno a lot…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.