Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Spider-Man 2.5 DVD

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Im one of the ones who is still really upset about the hack job they did to the Spider-Man 2 film score.This factor actually stopped me form fully enjoying the movie, dont get me wrong I thought the movie it’self was great. I would have liked if there were no songs in it at all like that Rain Drops song and that other one, but if the entire score was new and not recycled from the first film that would have greatly softend the blow of the 2 songs.

The original parts of the score were great. I loved the Doc Ock theme and all the other new music. The 2 Spidey and Doc Ock fights were really well scored. The train sequence was just amazing both in music and visuals, and although the train cue by Elfman was great I also liked Christopher Young’s alternate cue that was used in the film also the music that John Debney did was also good, but the parts that were scored with material from the first film, just made me cringe in horror. I paid too much attention too them. It sounded soo wrong and did not fit a lot of scenes. The edits were sloppy and the arangements were horrible. Im so upset that I want a rescore to replace all the music from the first film with new material. At least in time for the DVD realease.

Im not satisfied with the Film score on CD which is great BTW. I want the music in the actual film to be fixed. I want a new music edit with all of Elfman’s unused music.

Unlike most of you Im not gonna buy this edition of Spider-Man 2 Im gonna wait for the Spider-Man 2.5 DVD to come out with the extra footage and all that. My question to you is this. What are the chances that this new edition of the film will have a new and proper music edit using all of Elfman’s unused music and getting rid of the lousy hack job with all the music from the first film?

I for one hope that there is a new edit of music replacing all the shoddy bad quality copy and paste butchering they did with music from the first film. I felt that the crappy copy and paste job in Spider-Man 2 was worse than the ones George Lucas did for Star Wars Episodes 1 and 2.

This really bugs me and I hope that this problem is solved. Am I the only one that is majorly bothered by this?

Ronald C

Spider-Fan
    Participant

HELL NO. All of us are bothered by it. Danny Elfman wrote some amazing cues that did not make the film. Although it would be awesome if the original scoring made it onto the 2.5 DVD, it’s unlikely that it’s going to happen. It would take a lot of time to do and it’s supposed to come out in February.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

The additional scenes will not feature any significant Elfman action cues. They are merely scene extensions, etc. (as talked about by editor Bob Murawski on the DVD).

As for the “Raindrops” scene, I like that. It didn’t replace any of Elfman’s score and it’s a big laugh in theaters. It just goes to show you how much character that Raimi and Murawski bring to a film, rather then the bland, pseudo-hip bullshit from guys like Bay, that DAREDEVIL hack Johnson and Tim “Taxi” Story (the upcoming FANTASTIC FOUR).

Ryan

Anonymous

We all feel your pain! It was actually painfull to hear that in the theatres! Sad, so sad! But great movie and score otherwise! One of Danny’s recent best in my opinion!

TenderLumpling
    Participant

As for the “Raindrops” scene, I like that. It didn’t replace any of Elfman’s score…

It did.

On the cue list, featured on the Spider-Man 2 DVD, there’s a cue called “Happy Montage.”

I think you can hear it on the DVD, during the director profile, when they talk about J. Jonah Jameson.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

In the editing segment on the DVD, Bob Murawski states that he cut that scene to that song. Why then would Danny write a cue for it? But hot damn, there is indeed a cue called “Happy Montage”, which follows the “Uncle Ben” scene. Ah hell, I still think the song worked at that moment.

Ryan

Anonymous

Yea I guess the Rain Drops song was ok now that I think about it. I just saw the film again and while many parts still upset me musically with the sloppy edit using music from the first film I was able to over look it this time and enjoy the film better. this is my third time seeing it and the first 2 times I was very much distracted by this, but now I can see it for what it really is a great movie with some mistakes made with the music edit. All the new music and the Doc Ock theme are all amazing, really top notch stuff. I guess what Im trying to say is that Iv’e gotten past my original resentment of the music and am now able to enjoy the film.

I love superheroes and have been a Spider-Man fan for years now and a long time reader of the comic also. I cant let some bad music edit ultimetly keep me from anjoying what is an excelent Spider-Man movie, but that still does’nt mean that I cant still hope for a new music edit for Spider-Man 2.5 DVD,now I just wont be overtly upset if it does not happen.

Ronald C

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I just found the “Happy Montage” during the Directing segment of “Making the Amazing” that was discussed. I have to admit that I liked “Raindrops” better in that scene. The music sounds very much like Big Fish, and it didn’t seem Spidey enough for the scene.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

The music sounds very much like Big Fish, and it didn’t seem Spidey enough for the scene.

And “Raindrops” does sound like Spider-Man music?

The “Happy Montage” sounds gorgeous, but, I think the conclusion of what works better — the cue or the song — is really an issue of what we’re use to hearing.

The song brings a wonderful, corky slant to the scene, though. It’s great.

Anonymous

I’ve seen the botched earlier attempt at Fantastic Four. If you ever want to watch your toes curl, this is the film for you.

One of the things that makes “Raindrops” seem so perfect for the Spidy2 scene is that it matches almost exactly the rhythm of Tobey’s initial springy walk – or perhaps the walk was slow-mo’d to fit the music? I think maybe that is the main reason why its use seems so much more inspired than the typical pop-product-placement we normally get.

Blunt

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I’ve just re-found a piece on the Spidey 2 DVD with unknown origins. It’s the very big, brassy 3-note piece after Danny speaks for the first time and during the “Sound and Music” title in Making the Amazing. It popped into my head when I woke up this morning but didn’t have time to find it before school, so I just went and found it. I wonder what it originally was…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.