Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘Spider-Man 2’ disqualified by Academy (?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’ve just learned that Danny Elfman’s score for SPIDER-MAN 2 has not qualified for consideration for an Academy Award. No further details at this time…

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Awww. Well, I learned about it here, but I’ve got an explanation.

1: It’s a sequel, and unless it’s Lord of the Rings, it’s not anywhere close to being in the running.

2: It’s a summer blockbuster, and though an incredible movie, it’s not exactly what he Academy loves. Add a few actors who do nothing but cry during the entire movie and about an hour of boringness and there might be more of a chance.

3: Half of the music he wrote was not in the movie itself.

4: Additional composers were brought onto the project.

5: It’s a Danny Elfman score…I’ll just leave it at that.

Any word on other possible nominations for Spider-Man 2? Or any chance of the cut music from Spider-Man 2 being released?

Anonymous

Unfortunately, Spider-Fan is right, especially about number 4. The Academy tends to look down on him, despite some truly amazing work (I believe firmly that all the Academy voters were suffering from temporary insanity in 1990 when it came time to vote for Batman and again in 1991 for Edward Scissorhands). God knows why…maybe its because hes not “properly trained” or whatever.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

1: It’s a sequel, and unless it’s Lord of the Rings, it’s not anywhere close to being in the running.

2: It’s a summer blockbuster, and though an incredible movie, it’s not exactly what he Academy loves. Add a few actors who do nothing but cry during the entire movie and about an hour of boringness and there might be more of a chance.

3: Half of the music he wrote was not in the movie itself.

4: Additional composers were brought onto the project.

5: It’s a Danny Elfman score…I’ll just leave it at that.

6: A score that has previously used thematic material is not eligible for an Academy Award, unless, of course, that score is for a Lord of the Rings movie.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

That one I thought about but I’m not sure about something. If the previous score was not nominated for an Oscar, is it still eligible? For instance with the Lord of the Rings, if the Fellowship of the Ring had not been nominated, would Two Towers have been eligible? (Frankly I thought Williams’s Harry Potter should have won that year, but the Return of the King definitely deserved the Oscar.)

TenderLumpling
    Participant

For instance with the Lord of the Rings, if the Fellowship of the Ring had not been nominated, would Two Towers have been eligible?

No.

I guess that old rule is that no movie is eligible of an Oscar if the film has thematic material from another movie.

They changed it for Return of the King.

Katie
    Participant

I thought it was all about what percentage of new thematic material was included . . .

Anonymous

In which case Danny certainly would be disqualified. Discuss!!! :o)
    Blunt

Anonymous

I don’t care that much about awards, but…

WHERE THE HELL IS DANNY’S OSCAR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Danny Burton
    Participant

Sitting on the guy that wrote the “The Full Monty”‘s score lap.

Seriously, were the people that voted for that on freaking CRACK?

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

It was Anne Dudley who scored that movie, not a guy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.