Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Spider-Man 3CD at Lalaland Records

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    DannyBiker
    Participant

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=149826&forumID=1&archive=0

Quite excited by this, I only have that “other” copy. We can only dream for a release like that for Spider-Man 2, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Edit : quite nice to see there’s probably the film version of the “Fire” in there since the bootleg has the alternate version and I’ve lost the version I’ve made using the film version found in the menus of the first DVD edition. I actually kept that copy in order to redo that cut one day, I guess it’s not needed anymore… 😀

• This topic was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by DannyBiker.
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

This is the score that made me love film music. It’s very special to me and has aged like a fine wine.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Does anyone remember the SPIDER-MAN Score Petition Forum that was here way back? Yeah, let’s take credit for that original OST release. 😉

DannyBiker
    Participant

The mob has spoken !
    To be honest, I don’t remember. What was that petition about ?

ddddeeee
    Participant

Biggest revelation is that Elfman scored Peter winning the wrestling match with a sombre version of the Spider-Man theme. Very interesting. Though I’m far too close to the movie to magine that scene without the source music.

I love this release! Though I’m still waiting for someone much smarter than me to do a full theme breakdown and how each theme connects to the other. Thematically, there’s so much going on and all writing/reviews of the score just scratch the surface.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Chit-chat on this release has been surprisingly muted. I wonder how it’s selling for LLL. I would have guessed it would be a strong seller because of nostalgia. I have no problems with the set itself—it’s great. I only wish it was mastered a bit more aggressively. It’s noticeably quieter than the Sony OST.

Monsterhead
    Participant

I haven’t picked it up yet. I find that I’m not revisiting these expanded Elfman scores the way that I used to. That will probably change will NIGHTBREED drops.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I find that I no longer revisit the original album sequences for Darkman or Mission: Impossible. For the others, I tend to move between the original sequences and the complete scores. I’m a bit attached to the original albums for a fair few of the expansions, and some scores, like Planet of the Apes or Dolores Claiborne, as much as I love them and am grateful to have every note, can be a bit exhausting in their complete form.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Truth! I’m quite happy with the original score album on Spider-Man, I guess. But dip my ears into the expanded score for Dolores Claiborne any day and I’ll be happy.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Complete releases can be tedious indeed (I feel they sometimes serve more as historical references than real musical experiences) and while for Spider-Man, the original presentation is rather effective and representative of the score, it misses major cues that make it completely obsolete to me. “Fire”, “New Powers”, extended “Costume Montage” and “Revenge” and key moments from the final action sequence cues are highlights of the score that are impossible to dismiss when I listen to the score.

It does help that this score is themes-driven, contains very little fillers and almost no tracks that are of little interest without the images.

Edit : also, I suppose the release wasn’t really discussed much because these tracks have been available for more than 15 years now online. There are only a few bits of tracks here and there that were never released.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by DannyBiker.
    Thor
    Participant

I suppose most of you know where I stand on expanded releases, if you’ve been around the messageboards for the last 25 years. I rarely even visit the original soundtrack of SPIDER-MAN these days, so not sure an expanded release would have been something for me even if was into that. If I play any Elfman these days, it’s mostly calmer indie stuff, not the blockbusters (at least not post-2000). So hence why no comments from me, per Ryan’s curiousity about the lack of chit chat.

ddddeeee
    Participant

As a kid, I just couldn’t get enough of Elfman’s Spider-Man/Peter themes. I still love them, of course, but as I’m listening to this terrific release again, I’m just drawn so much to the Goblin theme. I think it might be my favourite of his villain themes now.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Interesting you mention the Goblin theme—it’s the one I am always humming to myself! They are certainly the moments in the film, like the “mirror” scene, where Elfman really dials into the tone (maybe why newer gens think these films are “cheesy”?) The expansion is great, and look forward to part 2.

We’re in a nice groove right now with Elfman expansions. Keep it going!

ddddeeee
    Participant

Do you think a release of 2 is possible?

DannyBiker
    Participant

I highly doubt. Time has passed but would it include Elfman’s only music, or Young’s contributions as well ?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.