Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Superhero Soundtracks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Monsterhead
    Participant

So I’ve been listening to David Arnold’s THE SPIRIT (dreadful movie) and Tyler Bates music for WATCHMEN off and on all day long. Danny seems to have forever changed the superhero music genre with BATMAN (which THE SPIRIT has shades of) and SPIDER-MAN (which I hear a little bit of in WATCHMEN). I detect a few other references (like Vangelis’ BLADERUNNER) in Bates music, but overall there seems to be a lack of traditional “super hero themes” that began with SPIDER-MAN in contemporary super hero movies, over the past year. Any thoughts?

Monsterhead
    Participant

Actually, I’m not sure what I was thinking…. The string progression in THE SPIRIT is akin to SPIDER-MAN. Not BATMAN. I love that Morricone-type harmonica theme too….

Natrebo
    Participant

I believe you mean David Newman’s score to THE SPIRIT?

While I haven’t heard the score for WATCHMEN, THE SPIRIT’s score has a heavy Elfman influence, and it’s a shame because the original writing by Newman in that score is really good. I think the score was prey to the temp tracking. Overall, Newman isn’t given enough time to really develop with all the jumping around it does. And there is a Batman vibe going on as you stated correctly in your first post… just listen to the first track at the 4:44 mark for that!

Monsterhead
    Participant

Yeah, Newman not Arnold. Duh. I think “Stand Off/Spirit Just Keeps Coming” is a fine music series of cues beginning at about the one minute mark. Agreed, that given enough time, THE SPIRIT theme could have been quite good. I’m still searching for a theme in WATCHMEN however…

Monsterhead
    Participant

Bloody Hell!!!!! That’s practically the BATMAN theme right there…. I like the progression leading up to the horns. Great stuff.

elfboy91
    Participant

I like the movie.. Maybe I was just having too much of a good time laughing at Sam Jackson!

anyways

I thought the score was good from a film only standpoint(I haven’t listened to the score outside of the film). I was more in love with the harmon muted trumpet! It gives that sort of “in the city” feeling.. its kinda bittersweet! I love it!

gordonblu
    Participant

I loved the Spirit precisely because it was so silly and not to be taken seriously for a moment. Sam Jackson was hysterical and I actuall thought he and Scarlett Johansson had good chemistry together. Even more amazing, I acutally liked Scarlett Johansson for a change! To be honest, I was worried about the fact that the trailers made it look too much like Sin City, which is something the Spirit is NOT, but when I heard that Newman was scoring the film, I was more intrigued. His score for the Phantom is one of my favorites and His score for the Spirit was one of my favorites from last year. The Batman nods are abundant in the score, but the one that really surprised me was the “Village” -like passage during track 13: “Lorelai “You’re Mine”/Spirit Wants” at the 3:20 mark.

I heard Watchmen for the first time today. The only major Elfman moment I heard in that one was the last cue. It sounded like “Waiting” from the Kingdom. I’m not overly enthused about the score at present, but that last cue made me wonder what Elfman would have done with Watchmen.

Bates’ music for Watchmen is actually John Carpenter inspired. Director Zack Snyder wanted an `80s feel since the movie takes place in 1985.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Hence the Vangellis BLADERUNNER-inspired sounds I guess…

Dawg Man
    Participant

Tyler Bates. Eh. I’m sorry, but I don’t see why anybody would listen to his music…

Nobody does. They listen to the music he steals. In 2007 there was MAJOR controversy when it was discovered that he ripped off Elliot Goldenhal’s score of Titus for 300. I’m surprised that WB and Zack Snyder hired him again.

Monsterhead
    Participant

I quite liked his music for SLiTHER. Do tell more about the 300 controversy….

Nick Parker
    Participant

I would not be disheartened if Tyler Bates never scores another film.

gordonblu
    Participant

The most effective moment in Watchmen comes with using Simon and Garfunkel’s “Sound s of Silence” during a funeral. Mr. Bates left absolutely no impression in the movie.

Bates’ score was the least memorable thing.

elfboy91
    Participant

Yeah.. I agree.. I remember the songs in the movie more than the actual score.. From the really crappy Leonard Cohen singing his own “Hallelujah”.. to the Bob Dylan classic, Jimi Hendrix version of “All Along the Watchtower”..(I prefer the Battlestar Galactica version by the way).

The Score wasn’t really there for me. I was disappointed

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.