Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘Sweeney Todd’ a reality

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

From The Hollywood Reporter today:

“Aug. 17, 2006

Production starts on ‘Sweeney Todd’

By Sheigh Crabtree

DreamWorks Studios has announced the official start of production on “Sweeney Todd.”

Official word from the studio Wednesday confirmed the project’s lead talent and provides additional detail on the movie version of the award-winning Stephen Sondheim musical thriller that will be directed by Tim Burton and star Johnny Depp.

Studio 60
    The DreamWorks and Warner Bros. co-production is scheduled to go before cameras in London at Pinewood Studios on Feb. 5 with an anticipated late 2007 release.

Depp will star as the titular Demon Barber of Fleet Street, marking the sixth collaboration between the eccentric actor and visionary director.

Burton has tapped two-time Oscar-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood (“Memoirs of a Geisha”) and Oscar-nominated cinematographer Dante Spinotti (“L.A. Confidential”) to head up his wardrobe and camera departments.

The deal marks something of a coup for Stacey Snider, CEO and co-chairman of Paramount’s DreamWorks, who put the storied musical on the fast track weeks after stepping into her new role at the studio (HR 6/13).

Previously, Paramount was in active development on Burton’s “Ripley’s Believe It Or Not,” starring Jim Carrey. But when that ambitious film’s budget spiraled out of control, beyond $150 million, Snider and DreamWorks production execs stepped in with a smart plan for Burton’s version of “Todd.”

Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald will partner with Richard Zanuck and John Logan to produce the screenplay adaptation written by Logan. Snider, and execs Adam Goodman and Mark Sourian are overseeing the project for DreamWorks.

The story of “Sweeney Todd” is of a wrongfully imprisoned barber in Victorian England who sets out to seek revenge on the judge who imprisoned him.

A highly acclaimed stage revival of “Todd” is now playing in New York starring Michael Cerveris as the bloody barber and Patti LuPone as his gleeful accomplice.

Former DreamWorks co-heads Parkes and MacDonald have produced a range of films for the studio including the Oscar-winning “Gladiator,” as well as Steven Spielberg’s “Minority Report” and “Catch Me If You Can.”

“Todd” marks Zanuck’s third collaboration with DreamWorks following “Road to Perdition” and “Deep Impact.” The pact also marks a reunion for Zanuck with Depp and Burton, with whom he produced “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”

Logan recently wrote “The Aviator” and “The Last Samurai,” and he was nominated for an Oscar for his work on DreamWorks’ “Gladiator.”

Previous Burton-Depp films include “Charlie,” “Corpse Bride,” “Ed Wood,” “Edward Scissorhands” and “Sleepy Hollow.”

Paramount will distribute for DreamWorks domestically and Warner Bros. will handle international distribution.

Burton is still committed to develop Paramount’s production of “Ripley’s.”

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I have to admit, I’m not looking forward to this as much as I have his other projects. Plus, isn’t John Landis doing a “Bat Boy” movie next year as well? That’s two literally bloody musicals, only one of which I’ve seen (I saw a terrific production of “Bat Boy” at Steve Carell’s old high school, where my friend goes). But people seem very positive about Sweeney, so I’ll trust those judgements. Still, “Believe it or Not” is still the one I’m really excited about.

RCox
    Participant

“Bat Boy” is a more traditional musical in terms of structure. “Sweeney” is more like an opera/Bernard Herrmann score with lyrics. Also, I imagine that “Bat Boy” will get buried due to Burton and Depp’s involvement with “Sweeney.” Landis, a very talented man, hasn’t had a hit in ages.

gaba
    Participant

I still had a tiny bit of misinformed hope that it’s not the musical-version . Nothing against the Sondheim piece, but… you know… filler music job for Elfman again? Or do I interpret it the wrong way?

RCox
    Participant

Well, at least we’ll still get “Charlotte’s Web,” “Meet the Robinson’s,” “The Visiting,” and “Serenada Schizophrenia.” Certainly not a bad haul. Maybe Elfman will perform in the movie.

gaba
    Participant

Maybe Elfman will perform in the movie.

Ah, now you’ve done it. I didn’t even THINK about this and now the unlikely notion will haunt me for months to come. Awwww… ;-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

…[N]ow the unlikely notion will haunt me for months to come.

ME TOO! So many sleepless nights…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.