Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Sweeney Todd ad in Variety

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Pirate
    Participant

Look at the credits. I guess Danny won’t be involved at all. But I’m still excited for the movie!
    http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/183/stcd4oq6.jpg

gaba
    Participant

Timothy Spall and Christopher Lee! How wonderful (didn’t know!).

Ah well, no Danny, but that’s not really a surprise.
    I wish they went all lowly-disgustingly-hollywood and recorded a ‘brand new song’ as an ‘addition’ so that it can go for the oscars ;-) (you know, Danny singing “You Must Love Me” or something) ;-) :B

Dawg Man
    Participant

I still have faith Danny might write additional music. Remember, the movie hasn’t even been filmed yet. Hulk trailers were released with Michael Danna’s name on them (well, one was).

I’m excited about Christopher Lee though. He’s turning into Tim Burton’s go-to-guy now. Three movies in a row — four all together.

RCox
    Participant

Christopher Lee’s role is apparantly more of a cameo, seeing as how he is supposedly playing Fogg, the warden at an insane asylum. Ditto for Sacha Baron Cohen, for Pirelli only has a few scenes in the first act.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I see that Tim has hired Darius Wolski, who shot the PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN MOVIES, nice move and Dante Ferretti as production designer, who has worked extensively with Martin Scorsese. It’s an almost fresh Burton team!

Ryan

TenderLumpling
    Participant

It’s funny how much I depend on an Elfman score during a Burton movie. He’s not involved and I can’t work up any interest at all for Sweeney Todd.

Danny Burton
    Participant

rkeaveney Wrote:

> I see that Tim has hired Darius Wolski, who shot
    > the PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN MOVIES, nice move
    > and Dante Ferretti as production designer, who has
    > worked extensively with Martin Scorsese. It’s an
    > almost fresh Burton team!
    >
    > Ryan

Not only the PoTC movies, but Dark City, which is one of the most visually stunning films of the 90s.

My hopes are high for this one!

Well,excepting that I don’t think Depp has the vocals to pull this off, and Meryl Streep or someone like Annette Bening should’ve been cast instead of La Bonham Carter.

RCox
    Participant

I actually think Carter is great casting. But I’m with you on Depp. Even if he manages to pull off some decent singing, I just can’t imagine him topping George Hearn or Brian Stokes Mitchell (in other words, people who are actually trained baritones).

Edward Bloom
    Participant

And let’s not forget that Dante Ferretti worked with Pasolini, Fellini, Scola and Ferreri. I don’t think many people can say that nowadays…

RCox
    Participant

If anything, this does have the potential to be Burton’s most breathtaking visual film, which is saying a lot.

stanleyfilms
    Participant

i agree with you, but i find that burton is one of our most overrated directors. in almost all cases, elfman’s music transcends the film itself (“edward scissorhands” and “batman” are great examples of this). what’s even funnier to me is that burton’s best film, his masterpiece, is “ed wood” – which, as we all know, had no elfman participation. so that may be a good sign re: “sweeney todd.”

RCox
    Participant

Most overrated might be a bit harsh, but I do agree that I can always count on Elfman to do the heavy lifting when Burton is phoning it in (i.e. Planet of the Apes). I thought Burton was the perfect choice for Todd, seeing the similarities that exist between his films and the original Harold Prince production, but then he cast Depp, who only a year and a half ago flatly stated that he can’t sing, in one of the most vocally challenging roles in all of musical theatre. At least the rest of his casting is dead-on.

admin
    Participant

I’m confused. Surely Tim Burton will need someone to adapt the music, so why not hire Elfman to do the job?

gaba
    Participant

The music mostly doesn’t need any adaptation. It’s a fully fledged musical, not just songs but ‘inbetween music’ as well. Perhaps there’s some minor tweaking to fit things in properly, but from what I know, everything you need is THERE.

RCox
    Participant

Also, Stephen Sondheim (the composer and lyricist) and Jonathan Tunick (the orchestrator) are still alive and quite active. I don’t see why Sondheim can’t adapt his own music if needed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.